Acid in rib glaze reacting with foil during overnight refrigeration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
If I use Danny Gaulden's updated rib glaze of 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup mustard, and 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar on ribs (lightly painted on the ribs immediately as they come off the smoker), are there any implications of the acid content of the glaze as far as the ribs being wrapped in foil and refrigerated for about 15 hours before being reheated and served? I understand that an acidic tomato-based sauce can cause a metallic flavor to come over from the foil in such situations. I've used this glaze on a regular basis for a long time, but haven't usually had leftovers on which to have tested this question.

What do you think? Might the cider vinegar in the glaze will give me metallic ribs 15 hours later?

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time, for later consumption

Keri...no idea if this will cause a reaction, BUTTTT..why not skip the glaze and apply it AFTER re-heating. That is what I will be doing this weekend on my BIG cook for 300 people....60-80 racks of ribs.

I plan on cooking them to about 80% done, then when I re-heat, I will add my sauces. The timing is something like this......

6 hours normal cook time for the ribs, so I will cook for 5 hours the night before. The next day, I will keep them wrapped in foil and heat for about 1 hour and then unwrap and apply my sauces. This is a little longer than the 6 hours, but I am taking into account that they will need about 30 minutes of re-heating to come to temp.

This way, I can keep them in the foil from the night before and not have to worry about any reactions that may take place if I sauce them.

Timing would be like this.........

Day before, cook for 3 hours. Then, wrap and cook for 2 more hours in foil. Remove from smoker and store overnight.

Day of, re-heat in same foil for 1 hour, unwrap and apply sauces and cook for another 30-45 minutes.

NO idea how this will work, but what the heck!! I leave Thursday for set-up and lots of cooking Friday and all day Saturday.

What temp do you use while reheating for an hour wrapped then another 30 unwrapped? 225-250, I presume?

Keri

Keri...

No idea! I will be warming these up on a country club grill using indirect heat, so I am sure the heat will be slightly higher than that.

Keri --

There has been some controversy over the ratio of ingredients in Danny's glaze. I believe it started over a typo.

Anyway, I am pretty sure, after contacting Danny, that the recipe for his glaze calls for a 1:1:1 ratio. That is, for all practical purposes; 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)to 1/3 cup mustard to 1/3 cup apple cidar vinegar.

The use of one full cup of brown sugar to 1/3 cup of the others may well give you a sweeter glaze than you would want.

Just something to consider.

Sespe Pete...

VERY good point! I missed that one in Keri's original post.

I do remember you telling me that you had called Danny and confirmed the proper ratios.

Thanks for verifying!

Okay, I'm glad to hear that. I had originally picked up the modified version several years ago on another list, as follows:

<begin clip>

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:42:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [BBQ] Electric Smoker Question
Reply-To: BBQ@smokering.net
Bruce and Bud
Here is the version of Danny's glaze I use.

This is from Mikey in Atlanta.
Bruce C asked a question about Danny Gaulden's Rib Glaze.

The recipe he showed was the original one, that Danny has changed.

Here is the "NEW" one:

============================

DANNY GAULDEN'S "New" RIB GLAZE
September, 1999

Danny shared this with me tonight.
We are going to use this tomorrow.
Hope this helps many of y'all.

Mikey
(Atlanta,GA - The HEART & SOUL Of Dixie!)

>From Danny Gaulden:

Try this for the rib glaze ...
I made a couple of modifications to it.

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

1) Mix cold and bring to a simmer.

2) Let cool till ready to baste ribs.

3) If too thick, add more vinegar or beer.

4) Should be at least thick enough to coat a spoon.

5) Apply to ribs the very second they come off the pit.

6) Or put on a coat of glaze on about 2 minutes before
removing ribs, then another as soon as they are off the pit.

ENJOY !@

--

"Just An Old SWEET Song .... Keeps GEORGIA On MY Mind !"

Big Jim

<end clip>

Anyway, that's where I got it. Yes, it's sweet, but I've used it very lightly when I wanted a nicely sweet rib and done fine, actually. Danny, if you read this, my apologies for passing along an incorrect glaze ratio. Sorry for the confusion...

Keri C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back