accidentally cooked a good prime rib on the WSM

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Once again, the WSM works its magic and cooks something perfectly despite my best efforts to foul it up!

Hauled a nearly 7 lb prime rib up to my friend's farm. Rubbed it with kosher salt and lawry's seasoned pepper and about the last of the fresh rosemary from my (now nearly extinct) garden. Fired up a full chiimney of coals, and added plenty of unlit. Threw on two chunks of peach and one of cherry, or vice versa. That part was all fine.

Checked in after an hour and hmmmm...not nearly as far along as I thought it should be. Gave it another half hour and still it was coming along really slowly. Stuck the silver bullet jacket on it in case the cold weather was a culprit, and fired up a half chimney of coals to get it going. That's when I noticed, whoops, one of the dampers was still closed!

When I was assembling it, I looked down and saw that one of the vents was open (I could see thru it to the ground below), and when I peeked at the others from the outside they LOOKED open---well, it was dark, and the holes were black. So part way into the cook I somehow noticed damper number 2 was not open, so I opened that one early on. But why didn't that make me check damper no. 3??

Somehow, tho, the thing turned out PERFECTLY medium rare after 2 hours. It was really good, tho 3 ribs were a CRAZY amount of meat for two growing grrrls.

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Don't feel like your the only one who overlooks things. I had everything chugging along fine a week ago, opened up the door to stir the coals, put door back on, wrap back around it, and went into the house. A short time later, walked into the garage and looked at the remote, temp was....well....let's say really high lol. I didn't have the door shut right, fell open against the wrap about an inch. Dinner was still great though lol.

I did a goof this weekend too. I couldnt get my cooker over 220 degrees, I turned the pitminder up to 350 and still nothing. Turns out my homemade smoking jacket closed the damper on the 4cfm fan. What do ya know opened it up and the temps moved freely again.

Back