ABT Question

Phil Pavlovicz

TVWBB Member
I'm smoking some back ribs for the Ohio State - Wisc game this weekend. I was thinking of doing some ABT's for the first time. I don't have any pulled pork or Lil' Smokies handy, but I have some smoked polish kielbasa in the freezer. I was thinking of dicing this up for the filling. Anyone ever try this? I want 'em to be good since I'm taking them over to the neighbors for the game bash.

As long as it's fully cooked; go for it. I've been buying "fresh" kielbasa of late and smoking them myself. I always freeze some for "other" applications.

Did my first batch a few weeks ago. They were awesome, and not really what I expected. The smoke flavor interacting with the cream cheese is unbelievable. Agree that you should hoard a few because they won't last long. And I think anything you put in them will be good.

I put honey in the cheese/seasonings/meat mixture and it really tasted good. Does anyone else do this.

Don't get all hung up on having to stuff your ABTs with meat or sausage.

My family's favorite ABT is stuffed with chopped smoked string cheese and chopped dried cherries. They are also very good with chooped apricots, Craisins, dates... your options are endless. Some finely chopped onion mixed with the cheese and frutis is real good too.

Wow, thanks for the replies. I have heard of putting honey in the mixture. I'll give that a try. Do you just mix everything by hand or use a food processor?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Pavlovicz:
I'm smoking some back ribs for the Ohio State - Wisc game this weekend. I was thinking of doing some ABT's for the first time. I don't have any pulled pork or Lil' Smokies handy, but I have some smoked polish kielbasa in the freezer. I was thinking of dicing this up for the filling. Anyone ever try this? I want 'em to be good since I'm taking them over to the neighbors for the game bash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kielbasa should be fine, as long as it's cooked.

I've made ABTs once, and I used slices of chorizo in them. Pretty awesome.

Another poster had an interesting idea -- fruit. I'd bet raspberries would be nice in an ABT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Pavlovicz:
Wow, thanks for the replies. I have heard of putting honey in the mixture. I'll give that a try. Do you just mix everything by hand or use a food processor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just mixed it all with a hand mixture, about 1 T of honey to 8 oz cream cheese.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Do you just mix everything by hand or use a food processor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a tip on this website I let the cream cheese soften and put on some gloves and just mix it by hand.
thankssmilie5.gif

Phil, you can stuff anything you want in the ABTs. If you want a nice red color, or extra red, try some cherry smoke wood. MMMMMMM Looks and tastes great! Here is a pic of 100 of them:

IMG_1906.jpg

Mark

mk - Those look fantastic! Now I'm inspired!

The fruit/berry thing sounds interesting as well. I would probabaly eat alot more fruit if I wrapped it in bacon more often....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ethan G:
Originally posted by Phil Pavlovicz:
Wow, thanks for the replies. I have heard of putting honey in the mixture. I'll give that a try. Do you just mix everything by hand or use a food processor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just place all ingredients in a gallon size plastic bag, zip it closed and squeeze it all together. Cut a small corner off the bottom and squeeze the bag to fill peppers!!

Phil, use your imagination... As Clark stated, the possibilities are endless.
I've even used tuna, chicken, garlic, olives and even small pieces of SlimJims
icon_biggrin.gif

Whatever you have laying around.
I'd stay away from dog and cat food though...
icon_razz.gif

EDIT: I forgot PICKLES! Baby Dill Pickles! Try pickles, you'll LOVE EM!!!
BTW Mark, Great lookin' turds!

<span class="ev_code_RED">GO BADGERS!!!</span>

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Phil, use your imagination... As Clark stated, the possibilities are endless.
I've even used tuna, chicken, garlic, olives and even small pieces of SlimJims
icon_biggrin.gif

Whatever you have laying around.
I'd stay away from dog and cat food though...
icon_razz.gif

EDIT: I forgot PICKLES! Baby Dill Pickles! Try pickles, you'll LOVE EM!!!
BTW Mark, Great lookin' turds!

Jim,

I am a big fan of your cooks and pictures, but I am not sure about tuna as an ABT filling. You must be a brave soul to try some of those combination's!!

My recipe is nothing fancy, I just mix a packet of the hidden valley ranch dressing mix into a block of creme cheese and squeeze that into the peppers and then stick a generous slice of chedder in and wrap them up....ive also used pulled pork and pickles, pickles are a cool twist I liked them.

Jim: Thanks for the ideas! I'll reserve the dog/cat food filling for Badger Fans
icon_biggrin.gif

I will think of you as we smoke our victory cigars after the game!

O-H-I-O!!!!!

Phillip, lemme give you some "inside information" i have on this OSU victory you are so certain about (with your lit cee-gars and all)
icon_biggrin.gif

Here it is: ____________________________
icon_wink.gif

Yep. . . . That's it. Take THAT to the bank.
Our <span class="ev_code_RED">WISCONSIN BADGERS</span> <span class="ev_code_RED">21</span>
the buckeyes of the state college of oHIo 17

Now... back to your ABTs... make a bundle of 'em cuz they go fast and be sure to season 'em with your favourite rub BEFORE grillin' or smokin'... the additional seasoning adds a tremendous amount of flavour to them whatever you use for a filling.
<span class="ev_code_RED">Enjoy the game</span> and i hope you'll be able to deal with the outcome
icon_wink.gif

With any cooked meat, without any meat, ABT's are great.

Just a Cream Cheese and BBQ Rub filling is great!

Well it's looking to be a beautiful crisp fall day today. Ribs being prepared, ABT's in the making, two Big Ten powerhouses ready to go at it. Beer chilling in the fridge. Party is at the neighbors house, so I don't have to clean up. In the words of the comedian Ron White: “It's gonna be a good day, Tater”

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. All great. Some should compile all these recipes in a book: The ABC's of ABT's or something
icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way Jim:

Ohio State 31
Wisconsin 17

Good Luck!!

Back