A few plates from Munich

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
While I'm here, I had to take to eat in between drinking beers. Here's a few quick shots:

Here is original Munich Weisswurst and leberknoedel (liver dumpling) soup
IMG_7455.jpg

Schweinehaxen and Kloss (Pigs knuckles and potato dumplings)
IMG_7547.jpg

Leberkase and potato salad
IMG_7546.jpg

Pretzel anyone?
IMG_7510.jpg

Looks like you are having fun Steven. Schweinehaxen is one of my favorites.

Years ago when I was stationed in Germany (Army) I went to Octoberfest in Munchen 3 different years. At that time (60's) the ladies wore those large pretzels around their neck (hanging with a lanyard). The custom allowed men to put their arms / hands behind their back and then bend over and take a bite of the pretzel. It was okay to "nuzzle" a bit. I remember those days with "utter delight".

Ray

My grandmother (Oma) makes awesome laberknoedel soup. That bowl looks tasty as does the schweinehaxen and laberkase. I love German food. Looks like your having a great trip!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Pretzel anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i don't see no pretzels?
icon_wink.gif

Great photos Steven!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for taking me on a mini vacation to Germany. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, thanks Steven. Being 3/4 German, I suppose its my duty to visit the country at some point in my life. It's on my to-do list!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Pretzel anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i don't see no pretzels?
icon_wink.gif

Great photos Steven! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last pic is a trick picture. Look at it for a minute or so, and the pretzel appears. Like magic.

Pretzel anyone?
IMG_7510.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes please and a few more jugs please.....oh and some more beer too.

That last pic gives me a good excuse for a roadtrip to our neighbours... time to start my bike for a ride
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the Min-Vacation, Steven.

Can you describe the "gravy" served with the schweinehaxen? I can mentally taste most of the stuff, but that one's a mystery to me.

And as tempting as it may be, I've heard from good sources that you don't mess with those German beer-hall ladies -- They've got arms like Popeye from hauling around those heavy mugs and are usually A LOT tougher than they look (a little good-natured kidding around IS encouraged).

The sauce with the haxen is a beer sauce. I actually saw a beer sauce made yesterday. While the meat is roasting, dark beer is periodically poured over it. When the meat is done, the sauce is spiced and reduced like a notmal gravy would. It's a really wonderful sauce. The thing is that German beer is so different, I wouldn't know what beer to recommend. I guess if you can find some HB Dunkel beer that would be the way to go. Just don't try anything very hoppy.

Back