4 Butts vs. 1 Maverick

NickB

TVWBB Member
And the winner is...?

I was just wondering how people cook multiple butts at the same time. I am hoping to do 4 next weekend on my 18": 2 above and 2 below. But I only have one ET-732. From what I have read, there can be quite a bit of variability between the cooking time of two same-weight butts right next to each other.

So what do people do? Please don't tell me I need a thermometer for each.

NickB

I do many large cooks and have only 1 ET 732. I very rarely use it for the meat probe, use it for the vent temp (IMHO thats all that is important to monitor). If you want monitor one of them, do it on one on the bottom rack as they will cook a little quicker. I don't rotate, I pull the bottom and foil then finish the top ones that way your not faced with all 4 being done at the same time. They will hold for up to 6hrs if done right.

If you cook at 225-250 you are looking at 1.5-2hrs per lb till done. 250-300= 1.25-1.5hrs. All this with vent temps in mind.

I typically put the largest on the bottom, smallest on top, and probe one of the small ones.

Once it's done, the others aren't too far behind, so I just check them for tenderness.

I only do large numbers of butts for the annual Church picnic. Doesn't matter if one's a little over or under done. I pull and mix them all up for a even consistency.

I allow for 2hrs per lb.

Back