30 lbs of Pork Butt for church

Victor

TVWBB Member
I have been volunteered to do pulled pork for a church event next sunday. So now I have 30 lbs of pork butt in the fridge thawing out got it at a good price from restaurant depot 1.59 a lb.Now my question to you is all 4 butts at once or should I do two separate cooking sessions. I have a 18" weber bullit I think I can fit all the butts on it in one cook and I would like to cook all at once. But never having done this amount of meat before just wondering if there would be any drawbacks or problems you might see? Thanks for any input here, anything to put me at ease. Probly at least a 100 people coming next Sunday. I want my pulled pork top notch for this!

Hey Victor, I can't speak from personal experience here 'cause the most I've done on my 18.5" WSM at once is two butts. I know there are people here who have done 4 at once. I would think you'd be fine doing them all at once but again can't speak from personal experience, only what I've seen others post about it.

My family is looking for a new church! Yours would be a bit of a drive though...

Time wise it would seem to make best sense to do them all at once if they fit.

My suggestion would be to at least have one temp probe in a butt on each rack. You may have to pull one or more before the others.

Good luck!

Back