3 Picnic's 21lbs UPDATED PIC'S!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Put 3 picnics on the cooker this morning at 5am for a Christmas Party at work tomorrow. Decided to squeeze all three on the top grate, versus using both grates. No particular reason. Using water for the first time since switching to sand. Because I was planning on putting the 2 smaller picnic's on the bottom and didn't want the radiant heat to overcook the ones on the bottom. Pit temp is holding steady at the dome at 245, meat temp is at 115*. Here are a couple pic's of the pic's!
icon_biggrin.gif
I will update them as the cook goes.

Picnic's

Larry, that is alot of pork! I have not tried to put that much meat on the WSM yet, but it's great to know it can handle. I have not tried using sand, always water, when smoking. Sounds like you prefer sand, what the difference other than less work?

Mike,
There are a couple of reasons I like sand. Less clean up, no adding water and my temps are more stable with sand. Plus the cooker gets up to temp much quicker with sand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I see a promotion in the future!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
Wouldn't that be nice! First I bring them turkey and now they ask for PP! It could work either way, if they like it a promotion could be in store. However, if they don't..............
icon_eek.gif

Larry,

Looks like a lot of meat on that grate. Have you got good air circulation between the pieces. From the picture it appears that they might be resting against each other.

I would be concerned if that was true. What kind of rub did you use on them?

Bruce,
In the beginning they were a bit tight. But I had good flow around the sides. They have shrunk and there was plenty of room. I made the rub for these. (salt, brown sugar, cayenne, black pepper, onion powder, chili powder, ground mustard). They are at 179* now, 9 1/2 hours so far. Will post finished pics in a bit! I have added a pic that was taken about 3 hours into the cook, you can see there was a good amount of shrinkage.

Shrinkage after 3hrs

Now that just looks pretty! I'm gonna try the same thing next weekend. (or sooner if possible
icon_smile.gif
) Shoulders went on sale this week for a $1.29 lb. My only quandary is whether to use my new Guru or to do it the good old fashioned way like you did Larry. I'm more confident smoking the G.O.F. way, but I'm eager to try out the Guru. Decisions ... decisions. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

Rick

Larry, Looking great buddy. Working 7 days a week. No time for q'ing.
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif

Rick, What Bill said. Use the Guru.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Looked very tasty Larry. Am I supposed to get excited when I look at pics like that? Because I sure do! Did you happen to keep a log? I sure would like to know some things, like ... how much fuel was used, average temps, length of cook? It appears it went smoothly and fairly quickly (for shoulders).
Bryan and Bill, thanks for the push to get me off my butt and put together my other wsm with the guru set-up. For whatever reason I've been putting it off ... too busy ..too lazy ... too intimidated?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I hereby commit myself to get the unit(s) put together and to cook 3 shoulders on the top grate, on or before this weekend. Guru style!
icon_wink.gif

Time to do some homework!

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Larry, Looking great buddy. Working 7 days a week. No time for q'ing.
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif

Rick, What Bill said. Use the Guru.
icon_rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm right with you there, working all the time right now. Will not complain seeing that Armstrong is laying all those people off and Kemps closed down. You are getting another one of our supervisers starting Monday. I'm off the week of Christmas, plan on doing several things that week.

A few years back, I helped my little brother run his BBQ booth at an Alaskan state fair. We were selling about $4000 a day of brisket, ribs, and pork. To cook all that, I had a Cookshack (don't know the model, but it had 5 shelves) and two WSM. To keep up with demand, I was putting 6 butts on each at a time, and when they shrunk (about 6 hours), I combined 4 on a shelf to fit in more.

I found after my first cook that I hardly needed any water in the pan cause all the moisture from that much meat kept everything pretty wet. At the end of the cook, the waterpan was mostly rendered fat.

While it can handle that much meat, I found that the crust on the butts was pretty mushy. I cut back on the rub, added a little sugar to help, but, the bark was almost non-existant.

Dale

I have a question, that I feel like has been answered somewhere- -what exactly is the difference between the between the Picnic and the Boston Butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back