3 in 1 charcoal grate

Ryan Gala

TVWBB Member
Looking to do the 3 in 1 charcoal grate mod an not a welder so went to find the u bolts at acehardware shown in the mod section. They had a large selection of them but they are all zinc plated. I can't tell from the pictures on the mod but it appears o be really shiny and I assume it is zinc posed as well. Is this safe to do or will I get sick from the fumes or taint the food?

I don't see a problem with this for that small amount of metal. You could burn off the plating with a propane torch or a hot charcoal pile. (or your gasser)
Oh I used the same things, no ill effects at all.

Tim

I've seen some black coated (exterior) handles in the gate hardware section that may work as well.

edit: Disregard they are too small for the charcoal grate but look like a good fit for the lower grate.

John

use whatever you have available.
any chemical on the metal will burn off well before you can blink.
If you would get sick from any of those fumes, you should already be dead from all the other s*** you've inhaled, digested or consumed by now.

I used 8" x 3/8" stainless eyebolts, fender washers, and nuts. Probably not necessary but made me feel better.
100_0401.jpg

I used 1/2" clamps for pvc conduit to secure the charcoal ring on the grate but still allow the ring to move laterally slightly so I could shake the ring to get any ash to fall through the grate during a cook if needed.
100_0407.jpg

Even though the clamps were zinc coated I installed with stainless hardware. Again, probably not necessary, but I had the hardware left over from other projects.
100_0402.jpg

100_0403.jpg

View of the mounting points from the bottom of the charcoal ring
100_0404.jpg

I like what you did looks good. Maybe I shouldn't be worried just saw an add in the paper for a galvanized Bucky grill for sale at a big retail store.

Thanks. I have used stainless whenever possible, hoping for a little more corrosion resistance. But its really probably more an OCD thing than anything else.

Back