26.75 Fuel Consumption?

DarylB

TVWBB Fan
Background first. I have a gasser that is on it's way out and started thinking about what I wanted to do. I had a large WSM that I bought with my neighbor but I let him have it because he started a BBQ business. I have access to it if I need to do a big cook. I got really interested in the Primo XL Oval and was pretty sure I was going to get one and build a nice table for it to act as my outdoor kitchen. At first, I figured I would just do without the gas grill but later started thinking I would still want one around.

Then I started thinking it was just too much money to spend on a grill. The Oval is about $1,100 plus whatever accessories you want to buy. From what I can tell, it would be another $150-200. Then the cost of building a table. I'm thinking $1,500 on the low side and maybe $1,700 on the high side. Then I was thinking I would get a Weber gas grill for around $500. That adds up to more than I want to spend.

So I started thinking a kettle and a gasser would probably do everything I need. I actually have a 22" kettle but if I am passing on the Primo, I might as well go ahead and get a new kettle too. I first thought I would get the Performer but then remembered they have the 26.75" kettle. I think I would like the larger capacity to use for smoking or indirect cooking larger meats. I wonder first about fuel consumption though. How efficient is the bigger kettle vs. the 22"? I find that I run out of space sometimes on the smaller unit because I am usually cooking meat for 2 nights or more per cook.

Just looking for input from users or suggestions on which way to go. I like the built in table of the Performer but I could always buy or build a prep table to put between the grills considering the money I'm saving.

Someone gave me this advise ---- Get both. You will eventually....
At the time, I laughed. With a Performer & gas grill on the deck and a 22.5" kettle & gas grill on the lower patio, I'm now looking for the 26.75"
They all have their use.

I love my 26.75, fuel consumption is not really an issue at all, you can do most anything with tha same amount fuel you put in a 22.

I love my 26.75, fuel consumption is not really an issue at all, you can do most anything with tha same amount fuel you put in a 22.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I could probably get away with just my 22" but I figure since I can show that I'm saving a grand, might as well use the opportunity to get the 26. ;)

I love my 26.75, fuel consumption is not really an issue at all, you can do most anything with the same amount fuel you put in a 22.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I wish I'd gotten mine years ago and would get rid of my Performer, Smokey Joe, and smaller bullet before I got rid of the 26". However, the charcoal grate is larger for a reason, (although it's certainly nice not to always have to use it all!)

What's a mystery is why they sell it with the same size charcoal baskets that come with the Performer. I'm more of a two-zone indirect guy, but I can tell you that Kbb ashed over in baskets in 22.5" kettles gives me roughly 350*. Not so on the big 26.75". No surprise, it's more like 300*, and for me, that can make the difference between crisp chicken skin and not crispy chicken skin.

Regards,
Dave

Daryl, you might want to have a look at some of the other posts regarding the 26.
Here is one you might find interesting. I had to set aside my mods on this for a few weeks but will be finishing it off pretty soon. The 26 does not have the same number of accessories available nor does it come in any other models unfortunately but they do have the ability to be very versatile.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38610-Webber-26-75-OTG-Mods

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sold on the 26. I just like the potential versitility. The biggest issue I am having in giving up the idea of getting a Primo is that I had planned to build a table for it that would be my version of an outdoor kitchen. My house doesnt really lend itself to a true outdoor kitchen so the table is a suitable replacement. I'm not sure how I could build a table that incorporates the kettle just because of the lack of insulation and I really dont want to set my house on fire. That would definitely put me in the dog house. I do like your solution Gary but I also want a large work space and have considered incorporating a sink.

Has anyone seen any examples of a table or outdoor kitchen that includes a kettle? I guess I can always just build a cool bbq island and that would work but it seems the three legged kettle would look out of place.

Daryl, if you can weld or know somebody with metal fabrication skills it would open up a lot of possibilities. Just FYI I was in the same dilema over the Primo and by the time I finished I would have been about $2200.00. The big thing that scared me besides the price was the weight and the fragile nature of the ceramic cookers so I chose the 26". I'm glad I did but others may feel differently.
You could always consider a stepped table unit. Send me a p/m and we can discuss some ideas if you like.

Back