22 lbs of Pork Butt

Jason Howard

TVWBB Fan
Threw on 3 butts at 7.5 lbs each a couple of hours ago. Having a party tomorrow night for 20 or so people.

I'll be throwing 4 racks of BB ribs on tomorrow along with potatoes, which is why the butts are on the bottom.

Empty water pan with foil on it, full ring of charcoal and hickory chunks.

Should be tasty!!

IMG_3598.jpg

Those have to be the most unusual-looking pork butt roasts I have ever seen. Are they boneless, perhaps?

Also, these were rubbed with mustard first, then Dizzy Pig's coarse ground dizzy dust and some extra turbinado sugar; had great results with this rub combo in the past.

Originally posted by Doug D:
Those have to be the most unusual-looking pork butt roasts I have ever seen. Are they boneless, perhaps?
Nope, all three bone in. Maybe the angles are throwing you off...they are stood on their sides as well. They may not be normal, but my HEB always has them in this shape, ranging from 7-9 lbs bone in.

I'm used to seeing bone-in butts of that weight much more block-y, and not nearly so proportionally elongated as those.

Originally posted by Doug D:
I'm used to seeing bone-in butts of that weight much more block-y, and not nearly so proportionally elongated as those.
Interesting, like I said, my local HEB always has them in this shape, more of a flatter rectangle with the bone in. They always turn out great!!

Jason,

Do you ever have trouble with the meat burning on the bottom rack without using water? And what temps do you run your smoker when not using water?

Originally posted by Mike_G:
Jason,

Do you ever have trouble with the meat burning on the bottom rack without using water? And what temps do you run your smoker when not using water?
I haven't had any problems...the bottom rack is usually a few degrees cooler than the top rack.

I'm running it between 225 and 250 lid temp.

I mainly don't like the hassle of the water pan, so I started foiling it. I like it for longer cooks as well cause my WSM uses noticeably less charcoal without water in the pan.

How difficult is it to control the temps with no water (or anything else, for that matter) in the pan?

Originally posted by ToddP:
How difficult is it to control the temps with no water (or anything else, for that matter) in the pan?
Without water, its definitely more sensitive to airflow changes. When you open the lid for instance, it will usually spike up a little due to the rush on fresh air.

Its not what I would call difficult though, and I like tinkering with it anyway.

BUT, once you get it set right, the temps will hold steady for a very long time. I went to bed at midnight last night, and the temps held basically steady all night without any attention. I still haven't touched anything this morning, and I'm currently at 248 smoker temp and 154 meat temp.

Back