2010 Big Apple BBQ Block Party

Thanks much Kyle. I keep meaning to get to the Big Apple Block BBQ BP, but haven't made it there yet; one of the reasons being that I really hate crowds. Thanks to you and your pics, I can enjoy it vicariously. Yup, that Big Bob's pulled pork and cole slaw looks like a winner to me!

I went to the big apple bbq with my buddy jay and we had some good bbq. the biggest disappointment for us was jacks old south. we waited on his line for about 45 minutes first because of all the hype around this guy. i have to say the worst brisket i ever had. very tough and fatty. i actually tossed it because i didnt want to fill up on garbage. i have made better brisket in my backyard and i am by no means a bbq champion. we actually felt terrible for the people on line and wanted to tell them don't bother, but that would not be right. Anyway, hills country had outstanding brisket. Big bob had good pulled pork.

Nice report. Worked in Manhattan back in the day when I'm not sure real bbq was a part of anyone's vocabulary or consumption. Good to see that's changed. Of course good pastrami or corned beef at the Stage Deli or Carnegie Deli was and still is a great way to eat brisket! Thanks for your posting.

Kyle, From having 17 th street ribs at their place in Illinois,I would agree that their ribs are very disappointing. Really surprised about Pappy's. I have had their ribs in St. Louis and they were to die for.I guess it's kinda like everything else,if you hit it at the wrong time when the ribs have been sitting there awhile.
icon_frown.gif

Wow Michael, that's hard to believe! I guess there was a good amount of variance within each BBQ purveyor because if the brisket we tried was any more tender it would've liquefied.

Sorry to hear you had bad brisket. It puts my opinion of the other joints into perspective. I guess not every single plate can be a winner when you're serving volume like that.

Back