1st WSM Meatloaf! Yum!

Nikolai

Hi guys, we had a great Labor Day smoke session and made our first WSM Meatloaf! WOW!!!

The flavor was great, and I already know Im going to crave this. Might look a bit over done in the pic, but was very moist. We cooked a 3lb loaf (basic recipe from the site) and it took about 2hrs.

meatloafba8.jpg

Can't wait to try other meatloaf recipes in the WSM!!

Thanks guys!

Oh...I reccomend to try a little bit of pork, or italian sausage in the mix, all you need is 1/4-1/2 lb, really adds some extra flavor!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Oh...I reccomend to try a little bit of pork, or italian sausage in the mix, all you need is 1/4-1/2 lb, really adds some extra flavor! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, I totally agree! Now that I know how incredible meatloaf is in the WSM I'm going to jazz it up for next time!!

My wife's meatloaf is good, but I'd really piss her off if I cooked one better.

Heehee, I've got to give it a try.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Hey N could you throw in there what ya did to it? Wood etc? Thanks looks great and would love to try one myself. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Robert, I used Chris' meatloaf recipe, except I used all ground chuck instead of the 3 meats he recommends. The rest I kept exactly the same.

Here it is: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatloaf.html

For the 3lb meatloaf it took about 2hrs to get to 165 degrees internal. I used a small amount of Hickory chips (about a handfull) being careful not to oversmoke the meat. It turned out perfect.

I also made these baked beans to go with it: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beans.html

(To the beans I added a pound of cooked chopped bacon, and I made the version that calls for the 28oz can of beans)

They were AMAZING! I put them in a disposable aluminum pan in the smoker on the lower rack and smoked them for the entire time the meatloaf was in. They were very smokey and sweet and a perfect side dish. It will be hard to eat regular baked beans ever again!

I hope this helps!
icon_smile.gif

Meatloaf on the WSM has saved me about $500 in lunch money over the past year. Love the stuff. Nice work.

I haven't made a meatloaf in years. I think my next batch will have to be done on the WSM. A touch of hickory smoke sounds perfect.

Looks good. I love meatloaf. I use Chris's recipe only using all ground beef. I also like to throw in about half a medium onion chopped. Occasionally I get distracted and I am a bit late. Onions help keep it moist. Not to mention they are good.

Now if you want to kick up the flavor a notch, use Jack Daniels pellets. The walmarts around here have them on the shelf. You will be amazed.

just curious, were the drippings from the meatloaf going into the beans?

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nikolai:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Hey N could you throw in there what ya did to it? Wood etc? Thanks looks great and would love to try one myself. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Robert, I used Chris' meatloaf recipe, except I used all ground chuck instead of the 3 meats he recommends. The rest I kept exactly the same.

Here it is: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatloaf.html

For the 3lb meatloaf it took about 2hrs to get to 165 degrees internal. I used a small amount of Hickory chips (about a handfull) being careful not to oversmoke the meat. It turned out perfect.

I also made these baked beans to go with it: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beans.html

(To the beans I added a pound of cooked chopped bacon, and I made the version that calls for the 28oz can of beans)

They were AMAZING! I put them in a disposable aluminum pan in the smoker on the lower rack and smoked them for the entire time the meatloaf was in. They were very smokey and sweet and a perfect side dish. It will be hard to eat regular baked beans ever again!

I hope this helps!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by reardon:
just curious, were the drippings from the meatloaf going into the beans?

thanks

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep!

Back