1ST Somke - Whole Chicken

ShawnOrgan

Couldn't wait 'till next weekend, had to smoke something. So I cooked a whole chicken. Just a small 3.5lb fryer.
Brined it for about 12 hours, then rubbed it with some montreal chicken, a bit of cumin and some lemon pepper. Smoked it at 285-310 with a couple small pieces of apple wood for a little over 2 hours...
:wsm:
Amazing! Came out tender and super juicy! Not pull from the bone tender but good. Real nice smokey taste and the breast meat had a hint of pink from the smoke. Can't wait till next weekend when I'm gonna do some ribs and wings.

Quick question... I'd like to post a few pics, how's it done?

Chicken is my favorite, I just wish I could dial in the skin. Sounds like yours was da bomb, congrats

Chicken is my favorite, I just wish I could dial in the skin. Sounds like yours was da bomb, congrats

I did some breasts drums and thighs yesterday that the skin came out really good. i did the highest temp indirect i could get (+/- 400) and just monitored the temp using a maverick on in one of the breasts. They cook slower due to size but they don't need as high an internal temp so it kind of averages out for me. Skin was bite through and crispy.

Couldn't wait 'till next weekend, had to smoke something. So I cooked a whole chicken. Just a small 3.5lb fryer.
Brined it for about 12 hours, then rubbed it with some montreal chicken, a bit of cumin and some lemon pepper. Smoked it at 285-310 with a couple small pieces of apple wood for a little over 2 hours...
:wsm:
Amazing! Came out tender and super juicy! Not pull from the bone tender but good. Real nice smokey taste and the breast meat had a hint of pink from the smoke. Can't wait till next weekend when I'm gonna do some ribs and wings.

Quick question... I'd like to post a few pics, how's it done?

Here's some of the pics...

The bird.
smoke01.jpg

On the grill, just about done.
smoke03.jpg

Plated up with some homemade slaw, macaroni salad and a bit of fried rice, forgot the cheddar sausage I had done as well.
smoke04.jpg

Last edited:

Back