1st butt on the kettle a success!

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
I did my 1st butt Sat night, on my Weber 26.75 inch kettle. Thanks to this site, it was a home run. Roast was a 10-pounder from BJs.

Sealed off half the charcoal grate with bricks, put tons of unlit behind the bricks, topped with 8 lit and apple chunks mixed in. Got the grate temp to about 225, and it stayed there for 7 hours (not bad for a kettle), which meant I needed to refuel at 3 AM, but since I have a collicky 8 week-old, I was up anyway (more trusty than the alarm on my maverick!).

I was amazed that the roast froze at 155 for about 2.5 hours! Pulled off at internal temp of 195, let it rest for 2 hours,pulled easily. Didn't take any pics.

Here is the barometer of success. My wife and my best friend's wife are both on strict diets, and they both ate 2 sandwiches each. They both commented that they didn't wantthe 2nd sandwich, but they couldn't help it.

It was unbelievable, and it was also easy, just time consuming...

Thanks to all here...can't wait to do it again. Those who don't have a WSM, know that you can do this on a kettle, you just have to take the time to refuel. I'm new at this, I don't know my you-know-what from my other you-know-what, but the advice here will get you through anything! And from what I understand, pork butt is very forgiving, you just need to be patient (unlike beef brisket, which I hear is more of an unforgiving mistress).

Thanks to all who helped me during my cook. I'm psyched to add this to my arsenal. My 1st time, and it was better than any pulled pork sandwich that I've ever ordered in a restaurant.

Jamie

Haha just remember, it's not your fault they had 2nds, it's the delicious pork butts fault. You take no blame, except for the tasty food!

Great job Jamie. I know it has been mentioned before, but to hear it again that you can do this on a kettle gives me more confidence,thanks for the info.

Back