1984 Weber UK Kettle Print Ad

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
1984 Weber UK Kettle Print Ad

1984-weber-uk-kettle-ad.jpg

This two-page, full-color ad appeared in the April 18, 1984 Easter edition of Punch, a weekly UK humor magazine. The ad was part of a special "Extra" insert to the magazine called "Englishmen's Castles" that I can only assume contained humor and cartoons about English homes ("An Englishman's home is his castle.").

Two things stand out for me about this ad. One is the recipes...red mullet in vine leaves, lamb noisettes, split roast lobster. How fancy...perfect for "Englishmen's Castles", I guess. The other thing that stands out is the tagline, "In a cookout, it outcooks." Never heard that one before, perhaps strictly a UK tagline.

Here are photos of the original magazine from eBay listings. The first is the complete package: magazine, Extra insert, and a white plastic band that held the whole issue together. The second is a clear view of the cartoon on the magazine cover. And here is a link to the cover of the Extra section itself that also features a cartoon.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Chris, did you click on "Galleries"? Wow!!!!! that's a lot of cartoons. Thanks for posting, you always come up with some neat things. Thanks again!!!

Back