19.62 lb Honeysuckle White Turkey on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
Well, I picked up a fresh Honeysuckle White brand tom turkey weighing in at 19.62 lbs @ $.77/lb at a local Chicago grocery store (also grabbed a frozen 22 lb Jennio turkey for $.48/lb for later use). Rubbed it down with a bit of olive oil, added light coating of Famous Dave's Poultry Rub to skin and cavity and then added 4 strips of thick cut bacon across the breast (my mom does this with her roast turkeys, and eating that bacon when it comes off is a treat and also bastes the bird). Added sheet of foil over water pan rasied up so it doesn't burn to hopefully catch some bacon/turkey drippings for gravy and fired up with standard method. Added one large chunk hickory and 2 smaller chunks of apple wood. Fit perfect on the top rack and seems to have plenty of clearance on sides and top. Planning for a ~ 4 hour smoke at 350 degrees.
Wish me luck and GO HAWKEYES!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jamie

Sounds good! Bacon over the breast, hmmmmm. Might have to try that. Is that a "self-basting" type bird, or no added stuff? Good luck, and keep us posted.

Wayne

Self-basting. Wanted to try a brine but I also wanted to smoke a few hours after purchase so I went with this one.
Jamie

Oops, sorry for not finishing what I started /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Well, I am believe I pulled it off after about 4.5 hours. I held 325-350 fairly easily most of the time, only had to stir it up a few times. Although I was just about out of charcoal when I pulled it off, and I started with one lit Weber chimney and then added one unlit on top, and waited till it was all ashed.
Turkey was fantastic. Very moist, nice smoke flavor (though not very strong on smoke which was nice). Ended up with one whole breast left over which I sliced off whole and have been slicing for sandwiches, which I think is even better than it was when it came off the smoker. Honestly, I am glad I have one in teh freezer to do this winter and think I will pick another up after Turkey day when they are cheap and do it that week. It was that good /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm glad it turned out great. I've smoked a 13 lb. turkey in my WSM which also turned out great. I was wondering how a bigger bird would be. I'd probably have to remove my thermometer that's mounted in the lid to get a 19 pounder to fit in mine.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back