18.5" WSM Running Hot

SamA

I have been using my WSM for the better part of 2 years. With the recent purchase of a nice remote thermometer I have been able to get the cooker to stay in a nice heat range. However, I cannot get the nice, steady temps for a prolonged period of time. I also cannot get the cooker to go more than 6 hours on a load of charcoal. As I have read this is not the "norm." I tried the Minion method for lighting the cooker, that is how I got the nice 6 hours straight. I have tried Kingsford and lump. Lump, as expected, just gets things much hotter. And, to get the temp down to the right smoking range I really have to choke off the air to the cooker; most vents are only 20% open. All of this seems to me indicative of air getting to the fire through alternative means. I am thinking that would be the door in the front but its just a guess.

I should also add I rarely fill the cooker with food. The most it sees is an entire brisket, about 14 pounds.

Any suggestions? Anything that jumps out as something I am doing wrong?

My experience this past weekend with my 18.5 WSM, is similar to yours.

I used the WSM to do two pork shoulders and a nice size batch of spare ribs and it was my first real serious cook with the unit. I filled the charcoal basket completely up with Kingsford blue bag, and then pulled out 15 pieces of charcoal and lit them in the starter. Once the charcoal was good and ashed over, I dumped them over the unlit pile and then added 5 pieces of wood chunks for smoke. I got the WSM up to 250 degrees around 12:30ish AM, and went to bed. Set my alarm for 6 AM and noticed that the temp seemed to be tapering down to 200 degrees, so I filled it with about +/- 20 pieces of unlit charcoal.

I did notice that there was some smoke escaping from the access door. My door is stock, but I've noticed on the Cajun Bandit website that they sell a stainless steel replacement.

I'd also be interested in hearing what else can be done to get something beyond 6 hours on the initial load of charcoal in the 18.5 WSM.

The WSM can easily cook for 12 hours plus on a single load of charcoal. Take for instance Harry Soo, of Slap 'Yo Daddy BBQ, and Donna Fong, of The Butchers Daughter BBQ. Each cook on a single 18.5" WSM, for an entire competition, and using only a single bag of Kingsford Blue. Remember... they are cooking multiple Pork Butts, Whole Packer Briskets, multiple racks of pork ribs, and a slew of chicken thighs.

What they are doing is starting with a completely full charcoal ring (right to the top). What they are not doing is using more lit than they need, and not using water.

Take a close look at your WSMs. If there are a couple of leaks they can be easily corrected with a little, gentle hand work. Some of these 'leaks' will take care of themselves with time and 'gunk' buildup.

I load my charcoal ring all the way to the top. Fill my chimney starter half way and when they are lit I dump over my charcoal. Top vent wide open and 2 bottom vents wide open and the other 50 percent open. This hold steady @250 for about 10-12 hours. With water in my pan. I use the brinkman charcoal pan instead of the factory original.

I have been using my WSM for the better part of 2 years. With the recent purchase of a nice remote thermometer I have been able to get the cooker to stay in a nice heat range. However, I cannot get the nice, steady temps for a prolonged period of time. I also cannot get the cooker to go more than 6 hours on a load of charcoal. As I have read this is not the "norm." I tried the Minion method for lighting the cooker, that is how I got the nice 6 hours straight. I have tried Kingsford and lump. Lump, as expected, just gets things much hotter. And, to get the temp down to the right smoking range I really have to choke off the air to the cooker; most vents are only 20% open. All of this seems to me indicative of air getting to the fire through alternative means. I am thinking that would be the door in the front but its just a guess.

I should also add I rarely fill the cooker with food. The most it sees is an entire brisket, about 14 pounds.

Any suggestions? Anything that jumps out as something I am doing wrong?

Air leaks for sure can be an issue. Are you using water or drypan? How much lit fuel are you using to start? All of these factors make a difference.

Last edited:
As they say, a full ring should last 12 hr. I only do about a half ring and about 15 briqs. to start in the chimney (which gets me about 5 hr--that was with water. I now use saucer so not as sure about cook times). Stock door. No mods.

Using lump can get 15+ hours on a very full ring with additional unlit mounded in the center. The idea that you cannot get extended burn time because lump burns faster/hotter isn't correct. It's a matter of vent adjustment

It sounds to me like your pit might be out of round. When you close all of the vents and the top vent can you extinguish your fire in a pretty short time?

I installed a nomex gasket a couple months ago and the results have been so satisfying. Much easier to keep the temp steady, much easier to keep the temp low, and it feels as if I have greater control at adjusting it.

Sam, one thing I noticed that you said in your post is about shutting "most vents to 20%". I use a clay saucer in my water pan, use only KBB, and use the minion method. I used to light 20 in the starter, but find I can get the temps up with even less. Even with the KBB and cooking say at 275 for ribs, I usually end up with 2 of the three bottom vents closed and the third maybe 25% open. (the top vent usually stays open 100%)

I can maintain these temps for well over 6 hours. As everyone else has said, maybe try not using water in the pan (use a heat sink) which burns more energy keeping the water temp up, fill the basket full and check for leaks. Surely the problem is found in one or all of these.

Let us know what you find

I agree with Rick. I close 1 bottom vent all the way and just crack the remaining 2 vents and it will go 12 plus hours on a warm summer day. That does change some in the winter months. Top vent stays wide open.

I agree with Rick. I close 1 bottom vent all the way and just crack the remaining 2 vents and it will go 12 plus hours on a warm summer day. That does change some in the winter months. Top vent stays wide open.

I was under the impression having the vents in that kind of configuration was "wrong."

I do use a full water pan, which is sounding like part of the problem?

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I am not doing anything majorly wrong.

I was under the impression having the vents in that kind of configuration was "wrong."

I do use a full water pan, which is sounding like part of the problem?

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I am not doing anything majorly wrong.

I'm no expert but I don't think there is really any right or wrong. Those vents are there for you to adjust untill you find a combination that holds the temp your looking for. With mine if I have all 3 vents open say maybe 3/16 of an inch I run 250~275 which is a bit hotter then I like.

Back