15lb Brisket on a WSM question.

KKamps

TVWBB Member
Hi
I picked up a 15lb packer today from the local butcher that I'm going to smoke tomorrow, the question I have if I cut it into 2 equal parts will I still have to cook it at 1 1/2 hours per pound for 15 pounds or for 7 1/2 lbs? Any help is greatly appreciated, I need to know what time I have to start this puppy in order to eat by around 5pm tomorrow. I picked up a 22" WSM last year and smoked 2 briskets with pretty good results but 1 time the brisket need 3 hrs past my estimate and the other time finished 2 hours early so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

What's your cook temp? I wouldn't cut it in half. I dont think it halves the cook time. I think if you really want it done faster go high heat. (I cook 225 to 250 and don't typically do high heat) Otherwise be patient. Get it on around 11pm to midnight. If your running late wrap it. If you run early put it in faux cambro. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to be running it between the same range you typically do 225-250. I'm new to smoking and learned last year how to control the temp in the WSM pretty good hopefully I can get the temp steady and get some shut eye while she is cooking away. When would you wrap it?

Last edited:
I fell asleep and woke up @ 2am to start the WSM (minion method W/Apple wood chunks), got the brisket in the smoker by 2:45. The brisket was rubbed down yesterday and put in the fridge all day then the wifey took it out about 11pm to let it get to room temperature. I had to cut it in half putting the flat on top and the big piece in the middle, the temp has been between 245-255 and the temps are at 142 for the flat and 151 for the big boy. Gotta say it smells sooooo good, I will try to put some pics up when I'm given that privilege (being new to the site and all). Can't wait to taste it, if it tastes half as good as it smells I'll be a very happy camper.

I've got a maverick and I typically set it pretty loosely to alert me if the temp gets below 215 or higher than 265. I usually am able to get a lot of sleep.

As far as wrapping, I typically try not too but if I get the feeling it's going to be stubborn, I will wrap later in the cook. It seems to accelerate the cooking process even after the stall. I don't do it at any particular time just mostly after the bark has set.

Thanks for getting back Dustin its much appreciated. Ill take some pics when its done, they seem to be stalled at 156 right now. I was planning on taking them off at 195 internal I haven't and wont open up the smoker till they are done. Hopefully I will get to that point where I can go back to sleep, I feel like I have to watch over it like you do a baby. LOL

Last edited:
Pics

It was ready at 198 the probe went in and out like a warm knife through butter, at the moment it is resting we will be carving it soon but here are some pics of the finished product.

Outstanding job. I can taste it right through the screen. Now I just need to clean the screen off. :p

Looks good to me. I've done my last three high heat and not sure I'll ever go back to L&S for Briskets anyway. The longest cook high heat for me was an 18 pounder that took 8 hours not counting the burnt ends time.

...got the brisket in the smoker by 2:45.... the wifey took it out about 11pm to let it get to room temperature=

You left the brisket unrefrigerated from 11pm to almost 3am? I am no expert but that sounds a little dangerous. I have heard of people leaving beef out for an hour or so... Anyone got any advice on this subject? Am I being food bacteria paranoid?

Glad it turned out well. the pictures look great.

You left the brisket unrefrigerated from 11pm to almost 3am? I am no expert but that sounds a little dangerous. I have heard of people leaving beef out for an hour or so... Anyone got any advice on this subject? Am I being food bacteria paranoid?

IMO you're being paranoid, it was 55 in the house not 90+ and it was still cool and smelled perfect when i handled it, if it didn't it would have been put in the trash

Yeah this is really a non-issue...

I think Jacques Pepin said, if the bacteria can survive that oven then it deserves to kill me.

The refrigeration concern for foodborne illness is almost completely post-cooking, post-handling, if you assume that reasonable cleanliness is practiced prior to cooking.

Yeah this is really a non-issue...

I think Jacques Pepin said, if the bacteria can survive that oven then it deserves to kill me.

The refrigeration concern for foodborne illness is almost completely post-cooking, post-handling, if you assume that reasonable cleanliness is practiced prior to cooking.

Exactly. Even if you get some bacterial growth on the meat, it's going to be on the surface, and the surface will quickly rise well about the level at which bacteria die.

I once got food poisoning eating someones home cooked pork ribs and it was one of the nastiest experiences! I am always a little over cautious haha

I know cooking kills bacteria but I am going with the United States Department of Agriculture and USDA.gov food safety standards where they say not to leave uncooked food at room temp for more than two hours...

I am sure they are way over cautious and beef is a little more forgiving then pork or chicken but I would rather be safe than sorry. I know I am food paranoid!

Chris: if you see this, do we have a food safety section on the website? I looked but with so much info I could of easily overlooked it!

Back