10 lb Top Sirloin chunk/High Temp/No Water In Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Found a 10 lb Top at Costco, always wanted to try a big piece of meat on the WSM. Put on
this morning at 8:30am, put lots of large salt, pepper, some rub over the thing. Put on an
empty water pan, wrapped a pizza stone in foil and put over the water pan, put another pan
on top to the pizza stone to catch grease, put sirloin on top grill. Left all vents wide open,
full chimney of Kingsford and filled up remaining with unlit charcoal. WSM took off hand heated up
pretty quick. Got as high as 375 and as low as 320 but held real close to 350 for most of the cook.
Used couple of handfuls of mequite chunks on top of the Kingsford.

Hit 130 about 12:30pm or four hours from start. Took off and wrapped in foil and towel to sit for
awhile. Left for about an hour and then sliced. Yum! Middle was medium, not really all pink but
close, very juicy and tender. The WSM can be used for high temp machine, not just for low and
slow.

These may be dumb questions, but this is a beginner forum!

What exactly is a top? Why did you decide to cook it at a higher temp, and why did you decide to not use water? What does using a pizza stone do?

Thanks,

Top sirloin refers to cut of meat, this chunk also happened to be choice grade. I was looking to cook this at high temp because it was a relatively tender cut. I was looking for a nice crisp outside with a slightly pink internal, like a nice baron of beef. Used the stone to help provide additional mass in deflecting the high radiant heat. Maybe it was not necessary. Left water out of the pan because I was looking for higher temps, the WSM ran most of the time close to 350 degrees, I don't think I could have approached that temp with the water pan full. Might do some more high temp experiments, maybe with chicken next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back