Passover 2023 the cook starts this weekend

Simply amazing Brett, I can't think of a better thread here ever. Everything looks amazing (except for those chicken livers) I sure hope you didn't have to wash dishes :)

Simply amazing Brett, I can't think of a better thread here ever. Everything looks amazing (except for those chicken livers) I sure hope you didn't have to wash dishes :)
Thank you, @ChuckO! That is quite the compliment. My hope is that others feel inspired or at least I've given them data and info to questions or techniques they may have/or had. As for those chicken livers, I am confident I can turn your viewpoint positive. They're just amazing on flavor and texture. I have converted a few people's thoughts from contrary to actually liking them. Maybe I'll bring some to the NorCal TVWBB get together is we can pull one off this year.

And my dear wife and kids do help with the dishes. I do try to clean as I cook to lessen the load on pots and pans. But I am definitely not a do the dishes type of cook.

I love the chopped liver! I try to keep everything clean as I go, I simply don’t have room in the postage stamp size kitchen I’m working with. Besides, it’s my kitchen, I know where I need everything so, I am more comfortable supervising or, most often, just doing it myself.
Now, time to work on dinner with the granddaughter.

How come it's only taking 7-ish hours for your briskets? All the ones I have watched are more like 12+ hours.

How come it's only taking 7-ish hours for your briskets? All the ones I have watched are more like 12+ hours.
Because it’s a WSK. It’s super efficient and holds heat very well. My Signals graphs do not lie. I was saying the same thing at first.

Mind you these were smaller briskets. Each was like 13 and 14# cook weights. I did a 21# IIRC and it took like 11 hours. I can check my records if you’d like. My Signals cooks are in the cloud.

This graph went from 940p to 11A to complete. And was an 18# cook weight.

1682557514931.png

Because it’s a WSK. It’s super efficient and holds heat very well. My Signals graphs do not lie. I was saying the same thing at first.

Mind you these were smaller briskets. Each was like 13 and 14# cook weights. I did a 21# IIRC and it took like 11 hours. I can check my records if you’d like. My Signals cooks are in the cloud.

This graph went from 940p to 11A to complete. And was an 18# cook weight.

View attachment 69675

That's great! Most of the cooks I have been watching (since I can't cook myself yet) are done in a ceramic kamado. I didn't realize the WSK was THAT much more efficient than the ceramic kamados!

You may have been the reason I couldnt find a solitary brisket at my Costco Easter/Passover weekend :). Phenomenal cooks BTW, I need a WSK S6 in my life too I think.
Which part of the valley are you in?

I remember the brisket pickens were slim when I bought these and I was days in advance too.

I can share the S6 will make you happy, very happy. I went from E6 to S6 when one popped up on CL and it was in my town.

Which part of the valley are you in?

I remember the brisket pickens were slim when I bought these and I was days in advance too.

I can share the S6 will make you happy, very happy. I went from E6 to S6 when one popped up on CL and it was in my town.
I live in Manteca but checked Costcos in Tracey and Modesto too. I learned from this recent experience that Brisket was a traditional component of passover meals. For the amount of Jewish friends I have, you'd think I would have learned that previously. I guess I need more Jewish friends who BBQ :) BTW I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a gently used E6/S6 as I love the versatility and heat range those things can cook at.

Thank you, @ChuckO! That is quite the compliment. My hope is that others feel inspired or at least I've given them data and info to questions or techniques they may have/or had. As for those chicken livers, I am confident I can turn your viewpoint positive. They're just amazing on flavor and texture. I have converted a few people's thoughts from contrary to actually liking them. Maybe I'll bring some to the NorCal TVWBB get together is we can pull one off this year.

And my dear wife and kids do help with the dishes. I do try to clean as I cook to lessen the load on pots and pans. But I am definitely not a do the dishes type of cook.
BTW @Brett-EDH you have inspired me to look at the WSK as one of my future grill. I was reviewing this video review from Babybackmaniac and wondered what you thought of his review of the S6

Last edited:
BTW @Brett-EDH you have inspired me to look at the WSK as one of my future grill. I was reviewing this video review from Babybackmaniac and wondered what you thought of his review of the S6
I too watched that video before committing to the WSK. It’s a solid review of the cooker.

Fast forward to today. And with my own 2 years ownership experience, just about all the accessories Justin mentions aren’t needed, IMO.

I can share what I have for accessories:

Non-Weber cast iron center grate - love this and it produces consistently good food. It does required oiling and maintenance but not that much, really.

ThermoWorks - Signals. Excellent remote monitoring and the cloud solution is valuable. And being able to share and remote monitor a cook is super useful.

Vortex - meh. I am still not sold on its value for the WSK. I can get crispy chicken skin by using the charcoal baskets and cranking up the heat on the WSK (fully open on the bottom and top vents, using Jealous Devil lump)

I don’t have a blower. I don’t see any need for it as the WSK can do LAS at 215°-275° with a water pan inside of it for overnight cooks. I have posted pics from my Signals demonstrating this success.

Smoke leaks? I don’t have any issues with this. If you read into the video’s comments, Justin’s lid needed an adjustment to seat the lid properly so the gasket engages in a flat and consistent seal.

E6 vs S6 - personal preference. I enjoy having the cart as I can keep all my needed stuff in one simple location. The S6 works well for me and my use model. You can never have enough counter space IMO.

Durability- zero issues to date.

Wheels - no issues or concerns

Deflector plate - the original WSC had a folding deflector plate so one could add more wood or coals during a cook. This isn’t needed IMO as once you load the charcoal chamber and with wood, the WSK can burn for over 24 hours on LAS. Ain’t nobody cooking anything that long so the deflector plate point is moot.

Cleanup and maintenance - I learned to use heavy duty foil in my WSK to keep the junk out. The more meat juices that don’t go into the grill, the easier cleanups are. I use EasyOff oven spray in the lower and upper bowl and gasket. A few applications and some elbow grease and the insides are like new.

Pizza - I have a piece of steel cut so I can make pizzas on the WSK. 3/8” 14.5” x 16” A36 steel. It holds heat and makes a great pizza. It’s not as fast as an Ooni oven but it cost me like $60.

I have cooked many different proteins on the WSK and it’s a champ. Seared salmon, cold smoke salmon, shrimp, lobster tails, scallops, swai, Mahi Mahi, lamb rack, lamb roast, NY steaks thick and thin cut, Ribeye, skirt or flap steak, briskets, pork butts, Cuban pork, char siu both large and small pieces, burgers of many blends and sizes from 2 oz smashies to 8 oz pub burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken every which way, turkey, smoked Turkey breast, and more that I cannot remember.

Bottom line, best cooker I’ve ever owned and used. And that’s more than 30+ years grilling and smoking. I’d buy this unit again if I had to replace it.

IMO a WSM has advantages on smoking over the Kettle/Kamado. On the Kettle/kamado, your protein is close to the coals and there is a certain amount of direct heat that is cooking your meat.

Some of the advantages of WSM are:
  • Capacity is a big difference compared to a Kettle/Kamado.
  • It is designed for indirect cooking; charcoal at the bottom, cooking grates at the top, & water pan in between creates an indirect cooking environment.
  • It has much better airflow & even cooking which makes it easier to control.
Bottom line, they both have strong points, so why not have both!

I too watched that video before committing to the WSK. It’s a solid review of the cooker.

Fast forward to today. And with my own 2 years ownership experience, just about all the accessories Justin mentions aren’t needed, IMO.

I can share what I have for accessories:

Non-Weber cast iron center grate - love this and it produces consistently good food. It does required oiling and maintenance but not that much, really.

ThermoWorks - Signals. Excellent remote monitoring and the cloud solution is valuable. And being able to share and remote monitor a cook is super useful.

Vortex - meh. I am still not sold on its value for the WSK. I can get crispy chicken skin by using the charcoal baskets and cranking up the heat on the WSK (fully open on the bottom and top vents, using Jealous Devil lump)

I don’t have a blower. I don’t see any need for it as the WSK can do LAS at 215°-275° with a water pan inside of it for overnight cooks. I have posted pics from my Signals demonstrating this success.

Smoke leaks? I don’t have any issues with this. If you read into the video’s comments, Justin’s lid needed an adjustment to seat the lid properly so the gasket engages in a flat and consistent seal.

E6 vs S6 - personal preference. I enjoy having the cart as I can keep all my needed stuff in one simple location. The S6 works well for me and my use model. You can never have enough counter space IMO.

Durability- zero issues to date.

Wheels - no issues or concerns

Deflector plate - the original WSC had a folding deflector plate so one could add more wood or coals during a cook. This isn’t needed IMO as once you load the charcoal chamber and with wood, the WSK can burn for over 24 hours on LAS. Ain’t nobody cooking anything that long so the deflector plate point is moot.

Cleanup and maintenance - I learned to use heavy duty foil in my WSK to keep the junk out. The more meat juices that don’t go into the grill, the easier cleanups are. I use EasyOff oven spray in the lower and upper bowl and gasket. A few applications and some elbow grease and the insides are like new.

Pizza - I have a piece of steel cut so I can make pizzas on the WSK. 3/8” 14.5” x 16” A36 steel. It holds heat and makes a great pizza. It’s not as fast as an Ooni oven but it cost me like $60.

I have cooked many different proteins on the WSK and it’s a champ. Seared salmon, cold smoke salmon, shrimp, lobster tails, scallops, swai, Mahi Mahi, lamb rack, lamb roast, NY steaks thick and thin cut, Ribeye, skirt or flap steak, briskets, pork butts, Cuban pork, char siu both large and small pieces, burgers of many blends and sizes from 2 oz smashies to 8 oz pub burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken every which way, turkey, smoked Turkey breast, and more that I cannot remember.

Bottom line, best cooker I’ve ever owned and used. And that’s more than 30+ years grilling and smoking. I’d buy this unit again if I had to replace it.
Great writeup but I think you forgot rattle sanke, Camel and Ostrich... I believe you have cooked every other living creature ;)

I'm losing my memory; I don't recall seeing this thread but I'm glad to see it now. What an awesome meal and write-up, as usual.
This was a great post by an impassioned chef! Brett has the drive to do this annually! I loved the first go round, and it’s inspiring to read it again!
Fletch, you’ve got a new grand child to entertain, those memories will bump a few old ones out, losing memory is one thing, losing one’s mind is more what I’m worrying about!

One egg goes on the Seder plate.

View attachment 68477

16-18 eggs each night of the Seders (reading of the story of Passover) as some people will eat two. So that’s 36 more.

Chicken liver patè which will take 20-24. So that’s around 60 accounted for.

Then I’ll make egg salad as an appetizer for the meal. I’ll likely have to hard boil another 20. So thinking 80-85 to start.

Then I’ll need 6 for matzo balls for soup.

And 4-5 in the potato kugel.

I see going through around 120 eggs in less than a week. Passover usually takes this many.
I love your passion for Passover Seder. It brings me such fond memories.
You posted some pictures of like a dozen boneless chicken breasts on WSK with cbs on each side with some tips as well. I can’t find the post any more. Any chance you could please repost? I grill them a lot and could use any additional help. Thanks, Brad

I love your passion for Passover Seder. It brings me such fond memories.
You posted some pictures of like a dozen boneless chicken breasts on WSK with cbs on each side with some tips as well. I can’t find the post any more. Any chance you could please repost? I grill them a lot and could use any additional help. Thanks, Brad
Hopefully one of these is the original post? Lmk and I can dig further.

Awesome job on the brisket and other cooks!

Don't mean to hijack, but what temp probe system are you using? I need to get one for my new to me Weber Performer Deluxe and am trying to get smart. Would like a wireless one for rotisserie as well.

Hopefully one of these is the original post? Lmk and I can dig further.

These are great, as is everything you post is. Your creativity is unmatched! Boneless skinless chicken breast is always on the dry side, but I don’t care for fattier cuts. I’m salt water brining, searing, and then indirect grilling low and slow. Still on the dry side. Was looking for suggestions. Thank you, Brad

Back