Prime Rib Eye Cap Steak

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
been a while since i posted a cook.
kinda forgot how.
anyway, Chris Allingham turned me on to these things.
found at Costco for about 17 bucks per pound.

Prime Rib Eye Cap Steaks seasoned EVOO with salt and pepper & a dash or five of Santa Maria rub

RECaps1apr12016.jpg

over Kingsford PROFESSIONAL charcoal and about 5 decent sized hunks of a quality lump coal

RECaps2apr12016.jpg

hidden are pigfat mushrooms in a cast iron skillet server

RECaps3apr12016.jpg

these hunks of beef do not take long to grill... and i'm aiming for rare to medium rare

RECaps4apr12016.jpg

...and finally off the heat / fire....

RECaps5apr12016.jpg

plated with semi-roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet peppers, small red taters and those 'shrooms from the grill.

RECaps6apr12016.jpg

these were EXCELLENT and this was the 2nd time we done these... and it will not be the last time.

Thank you all for stopping by, fun to post a cook again.

oh yeah, i found this photo of a friend WEAR his cap steak, here ▼ it is.

IMGP1007.JPG

Thanks for posting this Jim. I saw those steaks rolled in the package (as seen in Bob Correll's thread) and assumed they were meant to be grilled like that -- standing up on end. Your pictures straightened me out.

thanks guys...
Jim, these were not rolled, however, yesterday in New Berlin's Costco, i saw rolled caps, but much larger than the photo Bob supplied.
the first package i grilled (about two weeks ago) were not as wide but much thicker than these...

I'm going back for more...

Very nice, Jim. Sometime, if you have a chance, take a whole rib cap off a standing rib primal (choice, prime, whatever you got), roll, tie, season and grill it (about the circumference of a pork tenderloin, though maybe 1.5-2 times as long.....) As most rib-eye lovers know, this portion of the roast is the most flavorful portion of that cut, and to grill it up this way is, well, indulgent! Ask me how I know... ;)

If I see these rib cap steaks at my CostCo, I'll definitely grab a pack.....good stuff!

Rich

Oh those steaks & the dinner do look good!
I'll be watching my local Costco & see if they have them.

oh yeah, i found this photo of a friend WEAR his cap steak, here ▼ it is.

IMGP1007.JPG
Be afraid...be vary afraid :)

Killer cook Jim! Your thoughts on the professional charcoal? I'm having a hard time warming up to it. I kind of like the "new" original charcoal formula and I really like the wood fused charcoal, especially the Hickory and the Applewood

Jim, I'll take a plate of that food, it all looks so delicious. Glad to see you back and again another awesome cook my friend.

The Master is back at cooking a tasty Prime Rib Eye spread, most excellent Jim.

Very nice looking steaks and also very likable gentleman with a cap and a light in the last picture. Cool pic buddy:)

Back