help - overnight cook - found temp at 175

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I started cooking one 7.5 lb but last night at 5:30 p.m.. Went to be at 1:00 a.m.. Temp was 250. WOke up at 6:30 a.m., temp was 175. Just lit another chimney of charcoal. Did the butt go below damagerous temp. CLearly, I don't know for how long becuase I was sleeping. Will the meat be safe to eat. PLease advise. Mike

Personaly I would trust it, get the temp back over 250 and have it burning well. See what the internal in the meat is, if you are above 140 then there is most likely no more danger than in a standard cook.

You were only asleep for 5 1/2 hours and it didn't drop the second you went to bed to 175 and then stay there for the rest of the time.

I would bet you were in the 160 range even with the lid at 175, crank open the vents and get another chimney of charcoal started.

I would crank her up and go for it. It has happened to me before and Im still kicking. 175 is still pretty dang hot.

I just got the temp up to 325 and kept the vents partially closed. I took an internal reading and it was at 160. Is my target temp 180?

180=slicable pork
195-200=pullable pork
I always pull my butts so I let'em go until 200 them wrap them with hd aluminum and let it rest for an hr or so then pull them..Hope this helps

Just took some temps. 190 in one section, 185 in another. I probably have about .5 hours left to get into the 195 to 200 ranges.

The problem is that I don't know how long the temp was at 175 lid, 170 less at grate. That's what concerns me...whether the meat created some increase bacteria. Mike

Don't make yourself crazy temping all over the meat. I cook mostly to 190-192 and, rested well, they pull fine. You can also simply wait till the bone is a little loose or very loose; the latter is too 'done' for me but is perfectly fine.

Your temp drop earlier is not a concern. The internal temp of the meat at that point is not a concern either as bacteria do not colonize inside intact roasts like butts. The surface temp is the issue and a 170 cook temp means the meat's surface temp was likely over 130--the actual top end of the 'danger zone'.

The meat is pasteurized by now; no worries.

I posted a comment to you in Benji's thread as well. Seems you both are at similar stages. I'm sure you'll both have great meals.

Very very few bacteria survive at that temperature and I think that THAT kind of animal lives next to volcanic vents deep in the ocean bottom. 8)

Part of your thread starter I missed this morning was that you had been cooking since last night, they were up over 140 already when you went to bed, time in the danger zone is cumulative and you don't want to exceed 4 hours cumulative.

Finally back from church, football, soccer, etc. Before I left I had taken out the butt, foiled it and put it in the oven at 325 for .5 hours. My wife took it out and placed it in the cooler where it stayed for 5 hours. Kevin, I didn't have a chance to read your suggestion about foiling and putting butt back it in the wsm. I will try that next taime. The pulled pork was fantastic. I made the no. 5 sauce, which was superb. I have pictures and will post once I learn how to do same. Thanks to everyone who gave their suggestions!!

i'm glad it all worked out. mine went well, too. my family tore up the pulled pork. i'm about to eat some leftovers.

i can help you with the pics. i got an account at photobucket.com and upload mine there, then you can generate the html code for clickable thumbnails, etc.

Chris,

That's what they say--it's convenient--but it is not accurate. Though total time is a concern, potential for bacterial growth depends on likelihood of which bacteria might be present, whether one is dealing with raw food, food in the process of being cooked, or already cooked food, the specific food in question, and the actual unsafe temps involved. E.g., a bowl of pulled pork served hot at a summer picnic but allowed to cool on the table--well, you're looking at more like 2 hours max as you have three major issues at play: it was already cooked, it was handled, as the pork cooled on its own on the summer day it would end up hanging in the far more dangerous zone of 85-105.

Conversely, a package of steaks left out on the counter to thaw would be safe to cook and consume 6 hours later. Though the surface temp of the steaks would warm first they would stay cold enough, though above 41, not to cause concern (pathogenic bacterial growth is low below 55 on uncooked foods); the bacterial issues with raw meats meant to be cooked are different from those already cooked (spoilage bacteria compete and prevent growth of many pathogenic bacteria); the steaks are going to be cooked and thus pasteurized (bacteria are not a concern within intact cuts), etc. It's not cut-and-dried, as you see.

The 'danger zone' top end is not 140, it is 130. 140 is a political number. If your therms are accurate feel free to use 130. This has been a known quantity for some time--FSIS started pushing to change the number in the late 1970s--but lobbying from several states caused the FDA to cave. Instead, they compromised at 135 and it's 135 that's codified (it's in the FDA's Food Code). (No one trusts consumers to know what they are doing but rather than actually instructing the public on the importance of using accurate tip-sensitive thermometers...) Use whatever number above 130 you prefer but I think it is worth knowing the accurate number.

Mike,

Happy it went well. Good show.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Chris,

That's what they say--it's convenient--but it is not accurate.

Mike,

Happy it went well. Good show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem Kevin,
icon_smile.gif
what I was trying to do was inform Mike that he cooked the butt from 5 PM to 1 AM at a "normal" 250° ish, he went to bed and awoke 5 1/2 hours later and the temp was down to 170 ish, well unless something strange was going on, the lowest the butt would have got down to would be 15° - 20° below the 170° ish, still cooking at 150° or more, and so it was not really in the danger zone as such.
icon_wink.gif

I was attempting to assuage his fears, in the pretty certain knowledge that all was well, and he was not going to poison himself or his family. 7 hours cooking at 250° ish, plus 5 1/2 hours at 175° doesn’t put him in great danger in my book.

I do enjoy your posts, and acknowledge your obvious experience and expertise, if I had thought about it I might have pointed him to any one of the dozens of your posts I have read, that better explain the dangers than any of my posts do. You do know your stuff on the dangers and I have learned a lot in reading them my self.

Those are teeny pics, Mike, but from what I can see dinner looks great!

Chris, I enjoy your posts as well--and have ever since you joined the board. My post was not to be ostentatious nor to be argumentative--I understood your desire to assuage Mike's fears and your logic was sound--but it seemed like a good opportunity to weigh in on what are really rather important concerns, imo, that are so frequently reduced to axioms that appear to be truths but that either aren't or are but only with additonal qualification. I could leave well enough alone in these circumstances, and perhaps I sometimes should, but I think that for many of us (and my feeling is that you are one of the 'us') more knowledge on a subject is usually a better thing.

Back