Chuck cook

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This came about in a last minute, convoluted sort of way. In town at my sister's, I'd had a bottle of chard for lunch. Hit the produce market on the way home. Among other things, grabbed a bagged cauliflower, or so I thought, from the rack. Local, $2.50/head. Grabbed some thickish pork chops and a 3-pound hunk of chuck from the meat market. Planned to do something with the chops, roast the cauliflower.

Well, it wasn't cauliflower. No idea how I didn't notice the lack of weight when I grabbed it - the wine and being on the phone at the time were likely the issues. Anyway, it was a head of iceberg lettuce.

I rarely like iceberg for anything.

So, I decided to do lettuce wraps for the chuck to get rid of the lettuce. It was going to end up being a rather late dinner. Well into bottle three (it was wine day!), I wasn't making sides.

3-pound piece of chuck:

IMG00578-20101009-1846.jpg

Rubbed with a mix of crushed green pepper, cracked black pepper, onion and garlic, coriander and sumac:

IMG00579-20101009-1852.jpg

Minioned the start and loaded in the meat. Used pear wood. Cracked the door from the beginning. Temp climbed to 300 in 30 min, 375 within the hour. Smoked 90 min.

Meanwhile, I prepped (l-r) ripe jalapeño, onion, dried white peaches, carrot, butternut squash, and garlic.

IMG00580-20101009-1919.jpg

Laid half the vegs in a CI pot, addes a half can of roasted diced tomatoes and juices, drizzled in some pom molasses and added a little salt; topped with the rest of the vegs and the rest of the tomatoes:

IMG00581-20101009-2002.jpg

Covered the pot and returned it to the cooker. Cooked about 90 min more, turning the meat a few times, till just getting tender.

Removed the meat from the pot, cut it into chunks, then pulsed the meat in my Sumeet till finely chopped. Mixed the meat back into he pot, added some finely chopped cashews and scallion, tossed together a teriyaki-esque dipping sauce; dinner at 10pm...:

IMG00582-20101009-2209.jpg

IMG00583-20101009-2211.jpg

Very nice - it looks delicious. Especially for a drunken, spur of the moment cook.
icon_smile.gif

Nice save! Looks great.

>>Edit: My cousin's gf is thai & she makes stuff like this every once in a while - it's actually why I bot the momofuku book.

Very nice cook Kevin! Thanx for posting the pics! I have had those days myself that after a few on the way home stoping at the store and getting something you never have intentions on getting but think it's what you wanted. Glad you were able to make a nice meal out of it!

Back