Best turkey setup for weber kettle?

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
What's a good setup to run 350 on a kettle for a turkey smoke. Snake method? I've got the charcoal baskets. Weber suggests using a half chimney split between them and adding some unlit every hour.

I do a full chimney, ring around the grill. Bottom vent probably around 50%.

I use charcoal baskets filled with unlit lump, add a half chimney of lit lump on top, put a disposable pan on the cooking grate and a the turkey in a wire rack over the pan. I control the temp with the lower vent and sometimes even partially close the top. Of course, you can't do a HUGE bird this way or you run into a height issue.

Last edited:
I've got the charcoal baskets
You have the Weber 7403 baskets? I'm not a big fan of those for high-heat (north of 300) or long cooks because the bottom clogs up, but if that's what you have this is what I've done in the past: I fill them full and put on about a half dozen fully lit charcoals on each (assuming you're going to BBQ your Turkey in the middle) and plan on refilling them about an hour and half into the cook (if not sooner) when you refill them, gently rattle them (use pliers) so that the ash dumps out the bottom. Gentle is the key, you don't want to stir the ash up and get it on your cook. I bought fire bricks and I use them exclusively. You can load them up fuller (because they're taller) and you don't have ash build up. Below is a typical brick set up I often use in my kettle cooks

1DA0CB0E-79E1-49CC-9606-0D9DF20EE492_zpsragq0nz9.jpg

Check the following link Dustin. I have been cooking my turkey with this method for probably 20 years and they turn out great every time. Turkey Link
I should add that I put wood chips on both sides on the charcoal and it gives a great smoke taste. Don't go overboard with the wood chips or your guests will complain about to much smoke taste. I have always soaked my wood chips but I have read that that is not necessary. Good Luck with that bird.

What's a good setup to run 350 on a kettle for a turkey smoke. Snake method? I've got the charcoal baskets. Weber suggests using a half chimney split between them and adding some unlit every hour.

Last edited:
I'm with you Bob, split heat, old fashioned indirect method. A few pieces of smoke wood is just right.
11 minutes per pound(not stuffed) adding seven or eight unlit each hour to each side. Many dozens done this method and no complaints, yet! I start with an almost full chimney split between and add as needed. I think the initial snap of higher temp helps with a nice crispy skin. Then "carve it like you'd dress out a fish" lift each breast lobe from the carcass and slice across the grain, then deal with the dark meat.

Just got my bird into its brine, mashed potatoes ready for tomorrow, pies are next!

Last edited:
I'm going to flip my Vortex over for indirect and go about 3/4 of the way around with lit KBB and add as needed. I'm going to use a mixture od apple and cherry wood for flavor. This will be my first cook with and electronic thermometer, my Ivation showed up yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Dustin, the baskets will work pretty well (one on either side). I usually close the lower vents to about 1/4 open and then fine tune the temp with the top vent. This is a pretty good technique-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfYyw8Cbm8.

The guy is a little annoying, but the advice is good. I've done turkeys this way for the past few years and they are delicious. Starting the cook with the bird breast down in liquid really helps keep the white meat moist.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jeff

I use it my baskets, but put them round edge towards the back of the grill, flat towards the center. Then do a spatchcock turkey with a drip pan underneath.

I'm with Chuck. I find since getting firebricks I use them far more than the baskets. At this point I'm pretty much using the baskets for rotisserie cooks.

Back