Need help or advice really really quick.

Jim Mann

Hi, Jim here, question please and thanks.

I have two turkeys out in my WSM 18.5 as we speak. Both are self basting, both have some Creole Butter injected in them, both have a little rub, not much, just a little rub on them. One is Tony's, the other poultry seasoning, with a little added salt and onion powder. Both turkeys are sitting in aluminum roasting pans on a layer of root veggies, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, with a few bay leaves. The water pan is empty and foiled foe good measure. The temp is around 325 to 350. Both turkeys are breast side up, the lower one has the Maverick theromometer in the breast with The alarm at 165 degrees. Cherry wood for smoke.

I have smoked many turkeys on my el cheapo Brinkman, but this is a first on my new Weber. I looked at the recipes on this forum and sort of combined a little of this and that.

Now the question. Should I add water to the roasting pans with the veggies, or just let the turkey drippings coat the veggies. I am hoping to have usable broth by draining the veggie pans, broth for the giblet gravy.

I do not want the veggies to burn, nor the broth to be real diluted. Any thoughts on adding water to the pans? Thanks again, Jim Mann

I am hoping to have usable broth by draining the veggie pans, broth for the giblet gravy. I do not want the veggies to burn, nor the broth to be real diluted. Any thoughts on adding water to the pans? Thanks again, Jim Mann
By all means, catch the dripping. As far as cooking the veggies and meat together, I tend to steer away from that. I do BBQ my veggies, but I don't smoke them and the meat at the same time (unless we're talking potatoes, I do smoke those at the same time) that's my 2 cents

I'd add some chicken broth or stock to the pan with the root veggies, neck, giblets, etc and make gravy with it. Step 7 is the basis of my recommendation.

Last edited:
If you are using the veggies for the broth (and plan to discard them after the cook), definitely add moisture (like 3 quarts) Either water, chicken broth, or even a cup of apple juice. If you want to eat the veggies, then forget the moisture.

Back