Rust from under the handle?

Marcus Brannon

TVWBB Fan
I have traces of rust that seem to be coming from under the top handle of my 18. I can just wipe it away, however, I'm concerned since I just got it this year. Should I pull the handle off and try to find the source or just not bother with it?

Gotcha. Yep, sounds like the weld is given way.
Has it gone right through the lid? If so, could you treat it from the inside? (JB weld or something similar).
How will you re-attach it? Weld? Bolts?

It's not at the weld. It looks like a trail of rust runs down from under the plastic handle, so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. Maybe the screw has started to rust that holds it on? Hoping it's no big deal. I don't think it's anything big.. like I said, I just got it this year brand new! I'm hoping I can clean and just put some oil on the spot to protect it. If it's anything too bad I'll call Weber and have them take care of it.

Ahh. I got the wrong end of the stick there.
Sounds like you have it covered. Let us know anyway.

Yea the screw is not SS so you could see some some rust streaks or like you said remove the handle ( could be some metal shavings hiding under there )

Tim

Marcus, you said you just got it this year - were you referring to the 18 or the rust? If less than 5 yrs old, the top should be covered by the warranty. Either way, call Weber as suggested by Bob and they can help. If not covered by the warranty, just put pam or some other food safe oil on it and let it go.

I got the WSM this year. I've been busy and haven't had time to look at the handle. I'll be smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow so I'll take a look at it while the chimney is lighting. It's not a lot of rust or anything, and I'm just seeing a trail where condensation or something is running down with some rusty water. Hoping it's just the screw holding the handle on perhaps.

Back