Heater Meter project cost and kit parts

Chris Peisher

First, very glad that there are super smart people out there willing to dedicate their time and skills to projects like the heater meter, blowers, link meter etc. Your work and dedication is truly awe inspiring! So I'm very familiar with soldering and other electronic diy stuff. The idea of this heater meter really appeals to me, but I'm starting to get a little concerned about assembling the whole kit from so many different places and at some point my time becomes worth something. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I'll need to order:

1- heater meter kit and case from the shopify store $112
2- case $21
3- raspberry pi b $45
4- Wi-Fi adapter $10
5-thermocouple probe ($5-$75???)
6-3x regular probes ( 3x$16=$48)
7- blower housing($??? Buy from forum member with 3d printer?)
8-tower hobbies servo for blower ($5-10+ shipping)

So with all this stuff it looks like I'm buying from 5 or 6 places...the shopify store, Amazon, ThermoWorks, forum member, Tower Hobbies, and then probably a trip to Lowe's/HD for some adapters for my Primo grill. It's looking like well over $250 plus time to order, assemble, setup, test, debug etc....

So I've got a couple of blunt questions.
1- what in particular does the heater meter do that the $329 CyberQ kit doesn't?
2- how much should I expect to pay for a blower housing from a forum member?
3- which exact thermocouple do most people use for the grill temp?

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication to this project, and I look forward to joining the community.

Chris

First, very glad that there are super smart people out there willing to dedicate their time and skills to projects like the heater meter, blowers, link meter etc. Your work and dedication is truly awe inspiring! So I'm very familiar with soldering and other electronic diy stuff. The idea of this heater meter really appeals to me, but I'm starting to get a little concerned about assembling the whole kit from so many different places and at some point my time becomes worth something. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I'll need to order:

1- heater meter kit and case from the shopify store $112
2- case $21
3- raspberry pi b $45
4- Wi-Fi adapter $10
5-thermocouple probe ($5-$75???)
6-3x regular probes ( 3x$16=$48)
7- blower housing($??? Buy from forum member with 3d printer?)
8-tower hobbies servo for blower ($5-10+ shipping)

So with all this stuff it looks like I'm buying from 5 or 6 places...the shopify store, Amazon, ThermoWorks, forum member, Tower Hobbies, and then probably a trip to Lowe's/HD for some adapters for my Primo grill. It's looking like well over $250 plus time to order, assemble, setup, test, debug etc....

1- what in particular does the heater meter do that the $329 CyberQ kit doesn't?

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication to this project, and I look forward to joining the community.

Chris

1. Correct, be sure to purchase the thermocouple variation (as assumed from rest of list) at the HeaterMeter Store. If you are going to use a damper system now is the time to decide if you want to buy the blower. The MicroDamper uses an axial fan, other systems use the blower. MD kits available at www.microdamper.com
2. Redundant, you included the case in 1. Take note you can get a free "ugly" case from the HeaterMeter store too. They are just functional misprints. Certainly a good way to save money!
3. Correct, buy at HeaterMeter Store
4. Correct, buy at Amazon
5. Correct, cheap ones work just fine. Ebay or search Amazon for thermcouple k type. I like the ones that have a metal shield around at the end (no the type that reads from a beaded end). Link to one towards bottom of this thread.
6. Do you really need 3 probes? I've never used more than two. Up to you though. Maverick is cheapest, and they work fine as long as you don't submerge them in water.
7. Not an absolute necessity, how easy can you assemble the blower (or fan if you go that route) to your pit. Is your pit super efficient like a kamado - if so then you probably want a damper system to be able to shut down airflow.
8. You can buy a MicroDamper with a servo, fan (note make sure you don't buy the blower from heatermeter store then), and connection jacks. Not sure if others who sell their damper systems sell complete kits, I think I'm the only one.

ALSO, don't forget you need a SD card and a power adapter. I provided links to amazon. Note don't cheap out on the power adapter, the cheap ones fail often and quickly. The one I provided by link has been running strong for well over a year now. You can probably save a couple bucks on the SD card, but you run the risk of the Raspberry Pi not supporting that model. The link is the card that I use - so you know it'll work.

So really you only have 4 places. HeaterMeter Store, Amazon, a Member to get you a damper system, Lowes/HD to put damper on your pit. So 3 online places, and one B&M store - not too scary now, right?

The second round of questions:
1. Extremely customizeable. If you can think it, someone can give you some code for it. Other can chime in with more input - I've never owned a CyberQ. After owning multiple HeaterMeters, I see no reason to spend more money for a CyberQ
2. Full MicroDamper kits are $36 which includes a fan, 3D print casing, servo, and jacks. You can save money by not buying jacks - they are optional and just allow you to have a removable cable from the damper system.
3. I don't think anyone really uses the same one. Here is what I like.

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:
You should be able to get t down to 4 places:

HM Store : HM Kit + Case
Amazon: RasPi 3 (has on-board wifi) + Servo + TC Probe ( any K type will work )
Thermoworks: meat probes
Forum: servo damper housing

You can also visit the Community 3D Printer / Assembly / Trading Resources thread and purchase a turn-key unit from someone like John Bostwick. This will probably end up being closer to the price of the CyberQ WiFi but you'll have a unit that has more functionality and configurability.

A few differences off the top of my head:

Thermocouple support - TC's are way more rugged than the thermistor probes. They can take extremely high heat and they're cheap.
Fan + Servo control - This allow for max air flow control as you can clamp down on the intake air with the servo
Built in Web display and graphing ( see below )
A plethora of alerting ( email, sms, push notifications ) and set point triggering options

oHswrv5.jpg

Also, one of the biggest caveats of the Heatermeter over other controllers is the customer support. You will never get questions answered anywhere faster than here.

There are other sources that sell complete ready to use fan/damper systems and otherwise complete HM systems from members like John Bostwik or here, and there are also resources available here to print and assemble your own (Adapt-a-Damper, MicroDamper, Barrel Servo).

Regarding thermocouples, get a heatermeter put together and I'll send you one.

Last edited:
The thing your getting with the heater meter, and some grills require this to work (acorns, big steel kegs) is the servo dampener function. This can really lock in a grill that is insulated. Yes you can go buy a "professional" controller from the store, but when you need to tune the PID well your out of luck. Plus the heater meter web interface is second to none. You will be hard pressed to find anything better, plus you will have to pay more to get less.

So glad this thread was started! I'm looking at building a heater meter and this thread will be an awesome place for other newbies to start!

Wow, you folks do not disappoint! Great responses.

@SteveCK
1 - I typo'd and included CASE instead of FAN for this item. So 1+2 with NO blower (since i'm buying that as part of a blower assembly on the forum)
2 - See Above
3 - I don't see anywhere to buy the RaspberryPi at the heater meter store, but I found the Raspberry Pi 3 on amazon, but I don't seem to be able to find a rPi 3 that's not a B, which the store says WONT work. The RPi model linked from the store doesn't include onboard WIFI so... What's the correct/least expensive RPi to get with Wifi?
4 - Hopefully get this included with #3
5& 6 - Found the less expensive k-type probes :) I'm really looking forward to not burning up my smoker probe again. Those thermistors burn out so easily. And your right, I really don't forsee the NEED to have 3 probes, but man... I could monitor the temp of my boston butt, my brisket AND beer cooler or something!
7 - I have a Primo Oval XL, so I assume that leans towards with the "more efficient" end of the smoker scale and I would like to have the capability the damper offers.
8 - I'll take the servo off the list based on you including that with the kit.

So it looks like this then if I go the "build it myself" route...
Shopify - HM 4.3 and Case ($125 + Free shipping)
Amazon - RPi ($45?), SD Card ($7.50), Power Adapter ($7), K-type Thermocouple ($9), 3 Probes ($48) (SubTotal w Hopefully Prime Shipping= $116.50)
Forum - MicroDamper Kit ($36)
Lowes - Misc Adapter to the Primo XL ($10)
Total - $287.50 plus time to assemble. If you take off one or two extra probes you can get around $250.

@Steve_M
I agree with all the points you mention re the advantages of the HeaterMeter vice CyberQ. I'll have to say that the web interface is pretty sexy, and the ability to get SMS alerts is very appealing. I also sent an email to John Bostwick inquiring about an assembled unit.

@WBegg
I agree that it seems like i would be paying more to get less. and i'll take you up on that offer for the pro gratis thermocouple, Thanks!

I'm going to keep my ear to the ground to see if any of the HM in the used section are still available too.

Chris

One thing the CyberQ cannot do that the HM project can is SOUS VIDE. I only just started using for it but cannot believe the results.

A typical immersion circulator can run over $200 by itself...just add an SSR ($10) and some other heating source that you have (slow cooker, deep fryer, etc).

Back