New HM 4.2 AVR fuse Error

Dennis T

So, first of all thank you guys for this great project and for the great forum!
I just finished my first HM 4.2 but it's not going as planed. At initial start up it failed, screen flickering and no LED lights at all. Found that I was getting 14 VDC (normal) and 3 to 4 VDC at IC1 (expecting 5). At this point I switched to PI power and started probing and screen came on (black rectangles) but no LED. HM is reachable online but has AVR error. I tried # avrudate in console and manual update from web and both return "AVR fuse ERROR".
Reheated all the joints and still same result. After some probing around with my limited knowledge I am having hard time finding 3.3 V anywhere except PI connector, but @ IC3 no 3.3 V so I suspect that is not alloying me to program the ATmega328.
Can you guys steer me in the right direction to find my problem with missing 3.3 VDC or if any other things that I missed?
Thank you!
front pic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxl_1zG_8FJ7VlF2VkJwQ29Hclk/view?usp=sharing
back: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxl_1zG_8FJ7QWlQZk1SbGhrWm8/view?usp=sharing
console: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxl_1zG_8FJ7Z3dyWFJ0eFg1MFk/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
The 4 x BS170 MOSFETs ( Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5 ) look almost the same as the MCP1700-33 3.3v regulator ( IC4 )

Any chance you've a BS170 in the IC4 slot?

The 4 x BS170 MOSFETs ( Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5 ) look almost the same as the MCP1700-33 3.3v regulator ( IC4 )

Any chance you've a BS170 in the IC4 slot?

OMG, that is the mistake I made. I will swap and see what's the verdict! thank you a lot!

edit: booted up and flashed AVR but screen flickering intermittently, will look more tomorrow.

Last edited:
It looks like I toasted BS170 the closest to screen and messed up the traces @ IC4 which will require some bridging. Do you guys think anything else could be bad due to those 2 originally incorrectly installed?
So far the symptom is just flickering screen, but when I tested the Micro Damper the fan ran in auto and manual mode but servo did not move at all. Is there a way to manually run the servo for testing?
So, for now waiting on new b170 MOSFEt and 3.3V regulator.
P.S. Of course I steel need to learn how to properly use HM.

I don't see how anything can work until you have IC4 installed. How are you testing the microdamper? Without 3.3v you can't program and/or interact with the ATMEGA.

I don't see how anything can work until you have IC4 installed. How are you testing the microdamper? Without 3.3v you can't program and/or interact with the ATMEGA.

Sorry, I probably did not explain all the events correctly.
After I found ic4 in b170 location, I swapped them. With 3.3v in place I was able to flash the ATMEGA. The backlight for LCD was flickering and around IC4 a little smoke came out (did not clean up after soldering it). I removed the IC4 again and I did more damage than good and noe I will just replace it.

I got IC4 and B170 installed today and all is looking good! Next is making the Micro Damper adapter and learning how to to properly run with Pit Boss K24.

Steve_M @ Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Back