Lowering the water pan 22 WSM

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Anyone ever lower the water on their 22 WSM? Seems like there is a ton of room between the coal ring and the bottom of the pan unlike with the 14 and 18s. Thinking if I lowered the pan and grate brakets it would allow more room above to add a third grate. Anyway I searched the fourms and came up with lots of third grate options but nothing on lowering the water pan. Thoughts???

Yes, well sort of.

I added a set of Cajun Bandit racks to my Pellet Poopin' Bullet. Its basically the same distance of the WSM grate mounts.

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

I cook dry with a diverter plate similar to the one shown except I used bolts to hold the plate on one WSM and another has a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in the other.

Thanks Brian your post and pictures are real helpful. I need to do some measuring first but I think I can gain 6-7 inches if I lower the pan. I like your diffuser and I might be able to go a little lower if I replaced the bowl. I have I have 1/2 strap I could use to add the holder for the third grate. 6 inches between the two grates should be enough I think since the 14 only has 5.5"s between the two. Thanks again guess I need to get to work....

Thanks Brian your post and pictures are real helpful. I need to do some measuring first but I think I can gain 6-7 inches if I lower the pan. I like your diffuser and I might be able to go a little lower if I replaced the bowl. I have I have 1/2 strap I could use to add the holder for the third grate. 6 inches between the two grates should be enough I think since the 14 only has 5.5"s between the two. Thanks again guess I need to get to work....

Thanks Dustin! I found some pics of the other heat plate setup using bolts that I have on a Gen1 center that I was using at the time with the Pellet Pro 22" WSM conversion kit.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Stainless steel bolts with fender washers double nutted to hold the plate securely.

Back