Jacked up OT Plat with S's cooking grate

Brett Fields

TVWBB Fan
Jacked up OT Plat with Stainless Steal cooking grate

I've tried all kinds of lifting options but this may be the best. I hate bending over to cook. I've elevated the bowl with 5/16 threaded rod. Though you can't tell by the pic, it's only been raised 6". It makes a huge difference though.

I also purchased the Stainless Steal grate from weber.

Last edited:
That is a cool idea. Could be an issue though for the gas assist models of Performers. Nice concept and adjustable to.

I should have mentioned that it's rock solid. Also, I'll not be elevating the side table cuz my wife and I frequently put out a couple of stools and eat our dinner there. B.

If I did that mod on my performer, I might cut some pieces of conduit or pipe, paint it hi temp gloss black and put over the threaded rod, neat idea on the raise.

Nice tall guy mod!

It's not even that! I'm only 5'10". I'm just so tired of having to stoop over all my weber hardware. I can't believe for a minute that there isn't a profit to be made (for Weber) in selling lift kits for their products. For goodness sake, they are selling two different lengths of grill brush this year! Same brush, just different length. I often wish they would ASK us what we want and stop trying to sell us what they think we need.

Rant concluded.

That's very clever! I like it a lot!
I went crazy and installed larger wheels and "foreleg extensions".
Then again I made the table almost five feet long and added the 18" on the "overhang".

Maybe but, when a cabinetmaker offers time and material, I could not refuse. That's it in my avatar, I added a hinge from "Unknown BBQ" to the 18 and its proven to be money well spent. The whole project was fun, really.

The Unknown BBQ hinge on my 22 wsm has totally changed my cooking life! I have another awaiting install on my 18, and one on my OTG that I'm gonna move onto the OTPlat. Having forgotten a fire extinguisher this past weekend, I think I'll mount the one we had to buy on to the OTPlat also. In that I'm REALLY BAD at making chicken on a WSM, it looks like my Hot Rodded OTPLAT is quickly becoming my go to travel rig. I have some other ideas for it as well. We'll see what I can get done.

Sadly, I can't travel with mine, too big for the Jeep. I will probably need to get a truck next vehicle purchase. Travel with an extinguisher is probably wise, I might get one with a snap rack and put it on one of the "forelegs" of the carriage.
Cold and very gray here this week, I need some grill time to chase the cool away from my back door!

Just light up the Smokey Joe and huddle over it a bit. It'll warm you right up! ...learned that the hard way last weekend.

A little I think, but nothing like the heavy stuff from the gassers. I like them mainly cuz they give much better longevity, and clean up much better.

Back