New E-330 Tested: Time to Temps and High / Low

PaulK

TVWBB Member
Hey there,

I got my new E-330 from Lowe's this week (photos below) and decided to break her in last night. While doing the burnoff I timed the temperatures as they went up/down plus checked out what the high and low temps are for it.

I realize these will change with time as the grill gets seasoned, but thought it might be interesting for those looking at new ones. weather was abot 70 degrees with a good breeze blowing on the grill. Also, this is with all 4 burners going (3 + sear) - I paid for that extra burner, might as well see what she can do!

Here's what I saw (degree - time) at the hood / dome thermostat:

• 200 - :35
  • 300 - 1:15
  • 350 - 1:50
  • 400 - 2:25
  • 450 - 3:10
  • 475 - 3:40
  • 500 - 4:05
  • 525 - 4:45
  • 550 - 5:30
  • 575 - 6:20
  • 600 - 7:25
  • 625 - 8:25
  • 650 - 10:55
  • 675 - 13:45
  • 680 - 15:00 (calling this max temp - might have gone up a few more)

Next, I turned off only the sear burner and temps immediately fell. After 5 mins, the max temp dropped by 45 degrees to 635.

As for low temps, I brought the temps down slowly and then opened the hood for a while to cool more, then tuned on just the sear burner for 10 mins., then switched to just the LH burner. Here's what i saw:
  • 240 - sear only on low
  • 230 - left burner only (calling this low temp)

The above surprised me as I thought the smaller sear burner would put out less heat on low -- didn't seem to tbe the case. you might as well just use the left burner for low/slow. The good news is these temps look good for low/slow BBQ, so that is great!

Hope this is interesting to someone. YMMV of course. I seasoned the grill afterwards with a bunch of 80/20 burgers - yum!

20160822_180257_zpsxqdu8q0k.jpg

20160822_175924_zpsksywgyvd.jpg

Congrats Paul that's a beauty. The Genesis 330 is a cooking machine. When you're ready, take a good look at the Rotisserie for the 330. A whole lot of fun and there is so much you can spin. Good luck and great cooking.

Bill

That's about what I've seen with mine. I've gotten slightly lower temps with only the far left burner on low. 225° and even a touch lower here and there. Works well for slow cooking pork shoulders. Also, the sear burner isn't a smaller one, only its knob on the front panel. It's a full-sized one just like the other three. Great grill, I've enjoyed mine and christened it with the same meal as you!

Mine is a natural gas model, BTW. It could be that the fuel source results in slight differences.

Last edited:
Just put mine together the other night. Haven't fired it yet. Got mine from ace as I wanted the stainless grates and flavorizers

I don't think you're actually getting a lower internal temp. The thermometer is right in the center of the lid and the sear burner is closer to it. So it simply is reading the burner that is closest. I have noticed the same thing on my Summit, and my older Genesis. If you're running it low/slow with only one burner you won't see the actual interior temps. If I run only the far right on my Summit I get about 50 to 75F difference on the lid thermometer than if I run only the left. The burners are all the same BTU so that is what causes it. So when I do a low/slow like this I really only use the thermometer as a guide to tell me if the temps have stopped rising is all.

Back