Extra Charcoal Grate Question

Chris Brusca

Just joined this forum, so this is my FIRST post ever. I have 3 Webers - a Kettle grill, a Spirit 300 series gas grill and recently purchased an 18.5 WSM to replace my old Brinkman sidebox smoker. I've smoked 3 times in the WSM so far and love it. I am still working out the temperature management but aren't we all?

I am making my 2nd & 3rd mod (unknown bbq lid hinge & bbq hanger) , following my first (wheels added) and am looking at others. One of the mods I read about is adding the 2nd charcoal grate to keep charcoal from slipping through the cracks of the original grate. My question is, since I don't really use lump (just Kingsford), is this mod really going to help me much? Trying to decide if it's worth this mod or not.

Thanks, Chris

Welcome aboard Chris!

Second grate is not needed if using briquettes only.
In fact, a second grate at 90° to the other will somewhat hinder ash fall through.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Thanks for the reply Bob...I was thinking that same exact thing about ash not being allowed to fall freely through the combined grate.
So with the money I will save not buying the grate I can put towards something else!

Welcome to the forum Chris. Your question has made me reevaluate my second charcoal great on my 22. Since I only use KBB (Kingsford Blue Bad) briquets I may take of the second grate. That is the beauty of this forum. When one person asks a question, you never know how many others that question might help. Thank-you and welcome.

Back