Replacement JJ parts

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I went to a ballgame yesterday and before the game the folks parked next to us were tailgating with a JJ. Apparently they lost (or didn't know what to do with) the charcoal grate because the coals were just piled in the bottom of it. Also, the scent of lighter fluid was heavy in the air. I felt so bad for that poor little grill, but it was obvious the folks using it had more pressing concerns (like trying to walk and stand without assistance) due to their state of enebriation.

When we left the game (in the middle of 8th...the Phillies were NOT going to come back from a 6 run deficit) and got back to the lot, their car was gone, but the JJ was there, in the empty space, with an uneaten burger & dog on it. It had clearly been abandoned. I said to my wife "I'm taking it". Her: "What, the burger?" Me: "No, the grill. I'm not leaving it here to be abused by someone else."

So, I left the burger & hot dog on the ground and now have a second Jumbo Joe. For the most part, it looks barely used, aside from some ash in the bowl and a bit of gunk on the grate. However, it's missing the charcoal grate (available easily enough from Amazon) and the ash catcher (not available, apparently). I did a quick search last night, but wasn't able to find anyone who sells that part by itself. Granted, I'm sure I could rig up some sort of replacement, but it'd be nice to have the real deal part. I suppose I could call Weber...

FWIW, I measured the width of my JJ's ash catcher and it's the same diameter (11") as the one 18" OTS. I assume the only difference is the dimple in the center of the JJ catcher to allow clearance for the hardware that holds the legs together. I could have ordered one from Weber or Amazon for $20-30, but instead picked up a 9" aluminum pie pan from the local dollar store. I'm just going to drill a hole in the center of it and bolt it to the base with the screw that holds the legs together. It'll do.

Back