standalone HM problem

David Mimlitch

I have finished assembly of my HM 4.2.4 and I don't have the correct PI yet. I want to use the HM as a standalone controller, but it will not run/boot. All my voltages look good, and no obvious solder blobs or bridges. I have double and triple checked component placement. I can't tell why it isn't running. I cant even get my 3v3 ftdi to read the arduino. LED 3 and 2 light up, but nothing on the display. From reading, my suspects are either an atmel without bootloader, or a faulty resonator. Thoughts?

any ideas would be appreciated.

IMG_6884 by David Mimlitch, on Flickr

IMG_6883 by David Mimlitch, on Flickr

IMG_6882 by David Mimlitch, on Flickr

IMG_6878 by David Mimlitch, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/s/aHskD7jWqb

I had the same issue on a board a while back. Turned out to be a bad resonator. I've never loaded the firmware without a PI, so can't help you there. Try installing a new resonator.

If you don't have a Pi yet, have you flashed the ATmega? It doesn't come flashed with anything and relies on the Pi to do the initial configuration. It doesn't have a bootloader or even the fuses set correctly (so it is running at 1MHz on the internal oscillator).

It is personal preference also, but your LEDs are inverted. They are addressed in "reverse stoplight" fashion from the webui so the red is on the bottom and the green is at the top.

Thank you bryan. I am sure you are correct. where are the instruction on how to flash it. My PI model B will be here on thursday, so I may just wait till then.

Thank you bryan. I am sure you are correct. where are the instruction on how to flash it. My PI model B will be here on thursday, so I may just wait till then.

There are ways to do it without a pi, but you would also need a programmer for the Atmega. Your best best is to wait until thursday.

But, until then you can atleast get a sd card ready to go with the software and as soon as you get the PI you would just have to plug in the sd card and the heatermeter and in a few minutes later you will be up and running.

There are ways to do it without a pi, but you would also need a programmer for the Atmega. Your best best is to wait until thursday.

But, until then you can atleast get a sd card ready to go with the software and as soon as you get the PI you would just have to plug in the sd card and the heatermeter and in a few minutes later you will be up and running.

John, that's a great idea, and I already have it built and ready to go. I'll likely test it in my pi2b just to be sure.

Yup as John pointed out, the only way to flash is with a dedicated flashing device which is why the Pi is so invaluable in the equation. I use a USB Tiny ISP but I also have an official Atmel ICE which is great because you can actually debug with it, but sucks because it won't power the chip. It makes it pretty inconvenient to use for programming because it consumes the entire programming header so your device needs to have a secondary set of power contacts and you have to have another cable running across your crowded desk... oops I've started a rant!

Back on topic, there's no way to program it without a programming device so it would be easiest to just wait for the Pi.

Back