Lid hinge placement on a 18.5" WSM

Randall S

TVWBB Fan
For those of you who have already installed a lid hinge on a 18.5" WSM, would you recommend that it go in the back or on the side? Since the 18.5" only has the top handle, I was wondering if the leverage to open "and" close the lid due to handle orientation would be easier with either placement. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confused:

Last edited:
For those of you who have already installed a lid hinge on a 18.5" WSM, would you recommend that it go in the back or on the side? Since the 18.5" only has the top handle, I was wondering if the leverage to open "and" close the lid due to handle orientation would be easier with either placement. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confused:
I have an 18.5 WSM but don't have a hinge.....yet.
From an ergonomic standpoint, it would seem to me that a side-swinging lid would be the most comfortable.
That would be with the hinge to the left and the handle 90° to the hinge.
I'm right-handed, but this orientation would have me opening with my left and my right-side workspace would be clear.

There is no correct way for everyone.
Think it through in terms of checking the internal temp of a Boston Butt or brisket with a Thermapen....
For me, I would want to open with my left and stab with my right.

I just recently got a hinge for my 22 and installed it on the rear. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do it on the side. The reason probably has something to do with my age and the angles, but once the lid is open from the rear, I have to go to the side of my WSM and lift with the top handle and the front handle to disengage the latching mechanism on the hinge to close it. We live and learn. This is one of the reasons that I may look for a WSM18 on Craigslist due to less weight on the whole smoker. It is becoming more difficult to lift the center and lid on the 22 to prep for a cook. Age and a bad back suck.
Just my 20 cents.

I have an 18.5 WSM but don't have a hinge.....yet.
From an ergonomic standpoint, it would seem to me that a side-swinging lid would be the most comfortable.
That would be with the hinge to the left and the handle 90° to the hinge.
I'm right-handed, but this orientation would have me opening with my left and my right-side workspace would be clear.

There is no correct way for everyone.
Think it through in terms of checking the internal temp of a Boston Butt or brisket with a Thermapen....
For me, I would want to open with my left and stab with my right.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but with the hinge to the left (which is what I'm thinking of doing) the handle would be "in line" with the hinge movement, not 90*, correct?

I will be using a wireless temperature probe, but also have a thermapen, so that is a good thought. Especially if cooking multiples.

My other thought is the hinge (although can be used for the 18.5") was originally designed for the 22.5" and thus, has the curvature for it. Therefore, there will be a slight warping of the 18.5" when bolted. I haven't seen anyone post issues with this though. Also, after installing the gaskets, I can see where the lid isn't very centered. I must make sure I have it in place the way I want before drilling! :rolleyes:

I'm most likely making too much of all this, but once started, I can't turn back, lol.

As for the gasket, it should not be a problem. I have the nomex gasket on my 22 and the hinge works fine. Gasket will not create a problem. Since it is already installed, installing the hinge will be the same whether or not the gasket is there. I had no problems with the gasket and the hinge.

I just recently got a hinge for my 22 and installed it on the rear. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do it on the side. The reason probably has something to do with my age and the angles, but once the lid is open from the rear, I have to go to the side of my WSM and lift with the top handle and the front handle to disengage the latching mechanism on the hinge to close it. We live and learn. This is one of the reasons that I may look for a WSM18 on Craigslist due to less weight on the whole smoker. It is becoming more difficult to lift the center and lid on the 22 to prep for a cook. Age and a bad back suck.
Just my 20 cents.

As I just stated, once done I can't go back! :cool:

I hear ya on the age (59 here) and I had a microdisectomy 3 years ago (which is why I knew Tiger tried to come back too fast). I do enjoy my golf though!

Back to WSM, I was going to install this evening, but will most likely wait until tomorrow or Sunday just to give myself some thinking time.

As for the gasket, it should not be a problem. I have the nomex gasket on my 22 and the hinge works fine. Gasket will not create a problem. Since it is already installed, installing the hinge will be the same whether or not the gasket is there. I had no problems with the gasket and the hinge.

No problems with the gasket. Just having it on reveals how "out-of-round" either the lid or the mid-section actually is. I mean, it's not drastic, but definitely noticeable. I can tell the gasket will definitely give a much better seal. Same with the door gasket.

I agree with the "Side mount" concept. I wish I had thought it through before I installed mine, it's unbelievably convenient and as long as you told Jason it was going on an 18.5 he will tweak it for proper fit. Great guy to work with! He answers emails very quickly, at least he did for me!
Yep, once you start, you are COMITTED so, think it through before you start!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but with the hinge to the left (which is what I'm thinking of doing) the handle would be "in line" with the hinge movement, not 90*, correct?
No.
Let's say you are right-handed and want to do a Thermapen temp check....
Put your left hand out, as if to grasp...
Your grip is PARALLEL to your body.
So, you want your hinge to the LEFT of that.
That makes your handle 90° to the hinge.

In other words....

If the hinge was a long piano hinge it would form a "Tee" with the handle orientation.

I'm a carpenter, don't argue with me on hinges....
Hehehe...

Hey, it's all good and definitely not gospel....whatever seems to work for you and it's wise that you are making sure before you drill !

Back