New member Used WSM 22 1st cook

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
HI All Got up at 5am to fire up the WSM..Temps are holding good/289* but kind of the high side for. I would like temps 250-275. Got all the bottom vents closed top vent barely open, smoke leaking like crazy from around the lid. I think gaskets will solve that problem? No water in pan used lava rocks to help keep the temps stable.Maybe water in the pan will have kept the temps lower?

This WSM has been well used by its pervious owner..Leaks died down some. I think it just like to run at the temps its running at.
Is there a problem keeping the top vent close, and let the leaks take care of the airflow?

My 1st cook on my WSM went pretty good.For the most time it held temps pretty good, a little higher then I like.
One thing I couldn't understand, is why the temps climbed when ALL the vents were closed? After awhile when I added the 2nd batch of KB temps skyrocketed to 350*, good thing the ribs were off. Took awhile for the coal to finish. They didn't go out they just burn done.
There must air coming from some where, the only openings I do see around the flimsy door, could that be causing the temp problems?
Smoke did leak like crazy from the lid. I have to work on that x that either gaskets or RTV.
Other wise it should be good for an over night cook.
Thanks Dan
PS On further inspection I see that the bottom vents don't close all the way, maybe 1 hole in each has a very small pin hole openning,1/32
Could that be causing the problem with the temps?
How do add pics?

DBono;
Lighting a full load of briqs at the start makes it difficult to hold moderate temps. I suggest you do this:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

After you get a few cooks under you, you might want to "search" on this forum for "Tin Can Minion Method".

I also recommend you read Chris' articles in "Cooking Topics" where most of what you need to know is laid out very nicely.

Then, you can continue to cook and as questions come up, we'll try to help. There's some FINE cooks on here that are extremely helpful.

When it comes to posting pictures, the best way I have found is to use a Photo Host like "Photo Bucket". You upload your photos to the site, then easily down load them by link:

http://tvwbb.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_postphoto

Welcome to the forum - we look forward to watching your future cooks!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Hi Here is how I started the WSM..Temps were holding at 289, a little too high for my liking 250 was my goal.When the coals were dying down I added more right on top, then temps climbed like crazy.
There must be air flow entering the smoker, all vents were closed, both top and bottom. I did notice afterwards 2 of the bottom vents were not closing all the way each had a very small opening maybe 1/32, also the door is very flimsy.. Could this be where the air coming in.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
DBono;
How many lit coals did you start with? Typically, when you are using a tin can, both ends are cut out. After the charcoal is loaded up around the open tin can, lit coals (12 or so when using my 18.5" WSM, a few more when using the larger 22.5" WSM) are dumped into the can. Then, using a pair of pliars, the now hot can is removed. This leaves the lit coals in the center for a nice slow controled burn.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Hi Only a few coals were used when starting maybe 6-8. What I'm more concerned about is controlling the temps and finding out where in air is getting in. I would love to adjust the temps by just using the vents.
This smoker is probably only going to be used for over night cooks once I get it right..I have a Shirley Fab 36 patio RF stick burner, for when I want to sit around and add splits
every 45 minutes "I also recommend you read Chris' articles in "Cooking Topics" where most of what you need to know is laid out very nicely."
Where do I find it?
Thanks Dan
Here is my Stick Burner

Last edited:
Hi
Just did a trial run with 3/4 of a chimney of Kingsfords Blue, Held 250* real good.
I closed all the vents about 45 minutes ago and temps are at 190.
Yup looks like I have to do some work on the vents if I want it shut down.
Did some work on the door and didn't see any leaks like I saw the other day.
Put some magnets over openings on the vents but they fell off
Thanks Dan

Hi All Any one out there have any idea's or suggestion regarding the tiny holes in the damper vents.
How long after shutting down the 22 WSM should I see temps drop and coals stop burning?
Thanks Dan

Howdy Dan and welcome to the board.
The small gaps will eventually seal up with gunk the more you use it. It usually takes a few hours to cool down the WSM, but normally you let it sit overnight to make sure the coals are extinguished.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/sitemap.html
Tim

Last edited:
Gaskets are an option

Standard advice is that they seal up with use, and I agree that it's worth seeing if that happens. However, I don't think it's universally true. I have a 14.5 that had problems with stable temps and went through a lot of charcoal and those problems didn't go away after a half dozen cooks. I bought a roll of replacement gasket tape for a Big Green Egg for about $10-15. I added it to the door and upper and lower rims of the middle section of the unit plus the thermometer after cleaning off the greasy buildup wherever I was attaching it.

Since then it's been running great, with stable temps and far less charcoal being burned. I think many work great out of the box, many get solid after some use, but a minority need a bit of help. Compared to the cost of meat for a single cook, I think the cost and time needed to add gaskets can be a worthwhile gamble if other things don't help. I've been running mine for hours now today with the temps staying right around 225F, and that simply didn't happen before I added the gaskets. If other things people suggest don't work, it can't hurt.

Howdy Dan and welcome to the board.
The small gaps will eventually seal up with gunk the more you use it. It usually takes a few hours to cool down the WSM, but normally you let it sit overnight to make sure the coals are extinguished.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/sitemap.html
Tim
Hi All This is not a new WSM it was bought 2nd hand and was well used, so I don't know if the gaps will seal up anymore..I got some foil tape from Home Depot, used it around where the lid sits on the barrel and around the flimzy door.
I do see and openings on the door bottom of both sides , thinking of taping them up after the WSM is started.
Thanks Dan

HI All Fired up the WSM, held temps pretty well..I used some foil tape to close off the pin holes around vents..Shut ALL the vents at 6, 45 minutes later it is still reading 198 from 271.. Does that sound normal?
No more leaks around the door,just some smoke coming out from where the lid meets the barrel..Hoping it would cool down faster, so I get it covered and protected from the rain, that is due.

THanks Dan

Last edited:
i recently got a 22.5, i can see how temps can run away fast on them there is a ton of charcoal (unlit or otherwise) that can fit down in the bottom. the key as with any charcoal grill/smoker is making sure to not overshoot temps if your still going too high after you throttle vents throttle them even earlier.

If all this drives you mad after awhile like it did to me then just buy a temp controller like a stoker or bbq guru and let it do the work moving the starter briquettes up to target temp slowly in a controlled manner. leaks are not a huge deal so long as they are not massive at the bottom, first run on my 22.5 with my bbq guru i ran it bone stock and it was a used unit, the door sealed okish about average for a wsm and the bottom vents are just like yours they won't fully shut, i completely removed the loosest one of the 3 vents on mine before even using it to tape over 3 of the holes with high heat tape bbq guru's come with and stuck my blower fan adaptor in the 4th hole and it ran nearly just as smoothly as my fully gasketed out 14.5 wsm i have done dozens upon dozens of cooks on with and without the bbq guru.

edit: other notes, if you wish to not go the ATC route run water in the pan, its a temperature regulator. so long as you keep water in the pan you'll find it damn well near impossible to break 250-270 degrees because the hotter the fire gets down under it the faster the water just boils off at 212 F but once its gone it will go out of control hot fast. sticking inert heatsinks in the pan only help to intitally absorb temperature but once they absorb it they hold it and help to keep temps at where they are (bircks, sand etc) with my ATC (DigiQ DX2) I don't ever run anything but foil wrapped over my water pans to make cleanup easier, they just basically act as a heat deflector and grease catch at that point.

Last edited:
Hi All My main concern is that with all the vents closed the WSM just keeps burning along..Yesterday I closed all the vents at 6 when the cook was done, 8:30 the temps were still reading 190.Is that normal?
I use lava rocks in the water pan to stabilize the temps. Temp control is really not a problem, getting it to shut down is. Can't really see where the air is getting in to keep the coals burning. I haven't looked at it yet this morning.
Thanks Dan

ah gotcha, yeah i would say that is normal, there's going to be plenty of leakage more than enough to keep the fire going. When i finish a cook i have the opposite approach i open up all the vents to make sure as much leftover charcoal and wood is burned up so cleanup is easier the next day.

ah gotcha, yeah i would say that is normal, there's going to be plenty of leakage more than enough to keep the fire going. When i finish a cook i have the opposite approach i open up all the vents to make sure as much leftover charcoal and wood is burned up so cleanup is easier the next day.

Hi I must have gotten spoiled with my little Smoky Joe grill.After grilling, I close all the vents and 1/2 hr it is cool to the touch.

I do like Dwayne M and open all of the vents after I have removed all of the meat that is being smoked. This way everything burns to ash and the next day cleanup is very easy.

Very possibly. At night, with the WSM cold, use a flashlight to see where the openings might be are. Save loads of time.

Back