Pastrami Again...

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
So two weeks ago I made Pastrami after a few years. It was fantastic, unfortunately the family killed it within 3 days. So I decided to make a another batch, this time I am doing 2 full packers and 8 lbs of Round roast. I've never tried anything other than brisket before hope the Roasts turn out. I put the meat in the brine 12 days ago, pulled them from the brine 2 days ago, soaked them overnight to desalinate them, then applied the rub two days ago and let them sit in the fridge til tonight.

So the plan is: Brisket's just went on the smoker then in the morning I will put the RR on the smoker, The packers will go to 200°, and the RR will go til 160°

So fare looking good, can't wait to see the finish stuff. I'm sure its going to be real yummy, with lots of sandwiches in the future.

That is one thing I have always wanted to do. It will be interesting to see how the round roast turns out.

I have only done pastrami twice, once last year with a small round roast and last week with a brisket. I liked the brisket type much better, but would love your opinion once they are done.

Sliced the Round Roast. I'm not overly impressed with it. Seems kinda on the dry side. But it is edible.

Last edited:
Finished up preparing the pastrami. Sliced up the two brisket, OMG these are the best I have ever made. Only problem is I think I slightly over steamed them and the meat slices are a little too delicate and falls apart way easy. But talk about melts in your mouth. OH man mouth watering thinking about it. Then for dinner I went ahead a made up from Corned Beef Hash using the 'trimmings' remaining after slicing the rest potato, onion, and green pepper. Talk about yum.

Next time take the round out of the smoker at 120-125 (no more than 130). Much better product (personal experience). You want it rare.

Regardless, when you can eat your mistakes, that's a success in my books.

Curious, Bob...

What was your curing recipe? And how exactly did you steam such a big piece of meat?

Here is the recipe I use. I'm no great inventor, I have just taken what others have put out there and tweaked it a bit over the years. This is what I have found works for me and mine.

Cure (About a 10-14 lb Brisket)
2 gallon water
3 Cup Kosher Salt
3 TblSpn Prague Powder #1
8 TblSpn Pickling spice
5 Cloves Garlic
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar

Dry Rub (Triple for a full 14 lb packer)
4 TblSpn Coarse Black Pepper
1 TblSpn Medium ground Black Pepper
2 TblSpn ground Coriander
1 TblSpn Dark Brown Sugar
1 1/2 TblSpn Paprika
1 tsp Colmans Mustard powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp granulated Garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

As for Steaming, what I do is take the bottom (water) dish from my chaffing set, fill it mostly with water then place the meat on a rack with legs above top of the water. Place it on the stove top across 2 burners. Heat on low and cover with the chaffing dish lid.

Here is the recipe I use. I'm no great inventor, I have just taken what others have put out there and tweaked it a bit over the years. This is what I have found works for me and mine.

As for Steaming, what I do is take the bottom (water) dish from my chaffing set, fill it mostly with water then place the meat on a rack with legs above top of the water. Place it on the stove top across 2 burners. Heat on low and cover with the chaffing dish lid.

Thanks man.

How long do you steam? Or how do you know when you are done?

Back