Heatermeter for Pellet Grill?

ChrisN-VA

Hello.. Not sure if this is possible or if a member can help or provide guidance. I own a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX pellet grill. I am looking to transition to full remote control to include the ability to change pit temps and monitor probe temps.

After reading through all the good posts on the Heatermeter, it looks like it might fit the bill with the exception of one issue. Having the ability to control/adjust the pellet grill temps. Can the Heatermeter be modified and coded to allow this being that pellet auger is controlled by the temp probe within the pit. I am sure it will require some type of connection to the existing wiring via a cable harness of some sort.

I wanted to ask here since the members have the best institutional knowledge of this device. I love the Heatermeter interface and the small form factor and would love for it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello.. Not sure if this is possible or if a member can help or provide guidance. I own a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX pellet grill. I am looking to transition to full remote control to include the ability to change pit temps and monitor probe temps.

After reading through all the good posts on the Heatermeter, it looks like it might fit the bill with the exception of one issue. Having the ability to control/adjust the pellet grill temps. Can the Heatermeter be modified and coded to allow this being that pellet auger is controlled by the temp probe within the pit. I am sure it will require some type of connection to the existing wiring via a cable harness of some sort.

I wanted to ask here since the members have the best institutional knowledge of this device. I love the Heatermeter interface and the small form factor and would love for it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think this has been discussed before. It would take a lot of modification, mainly to the software. You have to think about how a pellet grill works ---- the auger turns to dump more pellets in, but that's not a constant movement. If it were, you'd overshoot your set temp by a mile.

The HM works by providing constant output to whatever device it controls (unless output is 0%). As such, you'd just dump all your pellets in at once if you used the existing HM implementation. Further, you'd have to re-code the HM software to control the fan and servo compeletely independent of each other, because the fan will always turn, but the auger shouldn't be.

tldr -- it's possible but I don't think it's been done, and it would require creation of a whole new algorithm to determine at what rate / frequency to turn the auger. Probably not worth it unless you love doing stuff like that and have the technical knowledge.

Last edited:

Back