A few questions from a new owner

Christopher A

Just got a new 18.5" and tried out baby backs for my first smoke. Very pleased with the results! Used hickory and the rub recipe here. Did one rack with bbq sauce, and one without. Both very tasty - the one without sauce was a little smokier.

Haven't yet used the second (lower) grilling grate, I've a got a super basic question on that:

1. To access meat down there, the method is to always open the side door, correct? (vs. taking the cover off the top, removing the top grate and adjusting/basting/etc. the meat from the top?)

A few other questions:

2. In terms of adding water - i've read adding water through the side door is not a good idea. But if you have meat covering the top grate, or, you have meat on both top and bottom grate, isn't it super tricky to try to pour water from the top, down past two grates? (I used a garden hose the first time, but I only filled the water pan initially, before I put my ribs on.) I thinking more for when I may have to refill water WHILE everything is cooking.

Also - I'm noticing that dripping juices often help to keep the water pan filled somewhat.

3. Lastly, I'm seeing that the thermapen MK4 is in incredibly well-reviewed thermometer - but is it worth shelling out $100? (a third of the cost of the entire grill!) Currently, I have no thermometers at all yet. Is a meat probe or a general internal grill temp one more important?

Words of wisdom much appreciated!!

-Chris

1) access from top. trying through the side door is impractical and extremely difficult and I sincerely doubt that's it's intended use (maybe use it for adding another chunk of wood or a few additional briquettes or to get some extra air into the unit).

2) when I used water (which was a long time ago), I never needed to refill it during a cook.

3) you should get some kind of remote thermo. A lot use the ET732 or ET-733 (newer) model. There are others. The dome thermo is notoriously inaccurate BUT once you know how far off it is from reality, you can adjust for it. Won't tell you meat temps though is why we use dual version-->meat probe and smoker probe type of unit.

Last edited:
Can't help you with the water - don't use it.

As far as a thermometer, the Mk4 is really good - but I'd buy a Maverick 732 first. That will give you both pit and food temps wirelessly. I have both.

I access the lower grate from the top, and just use the door to add briquettes.

I also do not use water, but foil the pan for easier clean up.

I started with a Maverick ET732, and bought my Thermapen about a year later.

You have received some great advice from everyone.

Welcome to the forum. Post some pix of your cooks!

If you want to use water and you find that you need to add more water, you should buy a long neck watering can. Something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-0-528-Gallon-Smooth-Plastic-Watering-Can/999928968

Note also that if you use foil to keep your pan clean, if the foil gets a nick or for whatever reason water gets under the foil, it will bubble up under the foil and over the lid of the pan. Personally, if I was using water, I wouldn't use foil. Like others, I do not use water in the pan.

As for a Thermapen, if you can afford one, get one. The classic model is great and will save you $20 if it matters. Thermapens are great. Not only do they take temperature, using them as a probe along with the temp reading will teach you a lot about meat doneness. All I use now is a Thermapen and my lid thermometer. If you're a gadget person, the Maverick was fun for awhile. I just gave it up for simplicity. Once you learn your WSM, will be able to stop worrying about watching the temp every minute.

Chris,
I access the meat on the lower grate by removing the top grate and putting it down on a table of some sort. It can get a little messy if there is food on the top grate. To add water, I remove the top and bottom grates, unless there is room enough to pour the water on directly. But if there is a lot of meat, then I just remove both grates. If I moved to another country and could only bring three items for smoking meat, I would bring my WSM, my thermapen, and my stoker in that order. If I could not bring my thermapen, I would use a wooden stick. The thermapen serves two purposes, it reads temperature and can be used to physically determine doneness by poking your meat. I would absolutely buy a thermapen. It doesn't have to be the mk4, though it is nice. Enjoy your unit.
Donna

Thanks very much for all the great feedback! Helps a ton.
One Question for the Thermapen folks - I assume the idea that it can be inserted into the side grommet for interior temp reading, plus, be inserted directly into the meat? Dual function?

Next up, I'm thinking of wings (the spicier the better) and then pulled pork.

Any favorite recipes/approaches?

Thanks again all.

-Chris

I guess you could use a thermapen that way, but I don't think you'd get a very accurate reading. I've stuck mine through the top vent to see if my thermometer is about right and it did correlate well with my WSM thermometer.

More important is that I just got an e-mail and the MK4 is 15% off at $84.15. Not sure how long but they call it a 4th of July sale.

Christopher;
I have had a Thermapen for many years and have used it with complete satisfaction. However, it IS pricy, particularly for us "back yard" guys and gals. The relatively new Thermapop is almost as fast for a third of the price. I bought one for my grown children and also one for myself to see how it works. It works just fine and will do all you really need when checking internal temps of meats, etc.

However, I also believe just about all of us will find the Maverick remote useful too. You really "need" both. Now, with the lower price of the Thermapop, a feller or gal can justify the price of both.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Another vote for a Maverick. You need something to provide accurate temp readings at the grate level and of the meat you're cooking. The ET-732 is a great choice and fairly affordable (usually around $60); also, the batteries last forever. The first one I bought has at least 250 hours of use on the original set of batteries.

As for the Thermapen, a good, quick reading thermometer is good to have for all sorts of things. However, I couldn't see paying that much either, so I took a chance on this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GRFHXVQ/tvwb-20. I've had it a couple years and it's never failed me. The only thing I wish it had was backlit display. The Javelin Pro has that, but it's about twice the cost.

As for accessing meat on the lower grate, if you just want to poke it (with a skewer or thermometer), you can sometimes do that through the side door. Really, that door is there to tend the fire (add fuel/smoke wood or stir the coals) or add water (if you use it; I don't) - just be sure to use something with a pointable spout to make sure the water gets into the water pan and not the charcoal chamber.

Love the maverick. In particular the ability to sit on my couch and not have to check the pit constantly

More terrific advice guys. Thanks.

I can see, for remote scenario, Maverick is the clear winner. And lot of love for the Therma-pen (and maybe Therma-pop) too (or in addition).

Here's one more question: How have you guys handled keeping equipment conveniently at your fingertips? (tongs, etc.) Any kind of hanging attachment work nicely with the Smokey mountain? For my first smoke, I found myself using the hanging hooks and surface area of my Weber summit gas grill (which is next to my smokey mountain.) Needs some kind of attachment it seems?

Back