Painting a weber Q

Dave Parry

G'day
My Weber Q is near on 6 years old and even though undercover is only
1 km or .6 of a mile off Morten bay Brisbane QLD Australia.
No fault of Weber its starting to corrode.
Time for a refurbishment.
Don't have a sandblaster so it's a chemical stripper.
Bare Aluminium you've got to use a etch primer to get the paint to stick.
I use Auto paint basic Matt black. The lid gets a couple of more coats of clear.

http://aussiecue.dudeworld.com.au/STC/index.php?topic=681.0

Link shows the pic
Regards dave

Awesome job. Love the wood insert. How did you do that ? Did that to mine long ago though not as fancy. Your base didn't look much worse than mine is now and I live in dry calif. So one day I may have to do the same when it really bugs me. Mine is a red lid with pin holes in the paint so weber sent me a new lid so don't have to worry about that.

OK got it. Heck you would need to "bake it" in the oven. Just get the grill rippin hot I should think that would "bake" it sufficiently LOL

High heat paint I have is rated up to 1,200 deg and far as I know requires no baking. Gonna have to look again to make sure.

G'day
No way a BBQ would get hot enough temp to bake the paint.
I painted my mini WSM with caliper paint and as soon as it got hot the paint got sticky. Stripped it and used engine block paint, no problems then. Only diference with the Q is I used a hi gloss over the lid.
Dave

Forgot to mention this and I was reminded today as I was grilling on my q220 that the weber paint gets soft when it gets hot. Strange.

Very nice refinish. I have a Q200 that I picked up that may need a similar treatment. Thanks for sharing Dave.

How is the paint holding up ?

No problems to date.
Trust me I will report any problems. Ive done a bare metal etch primer then engine block paint job here. Even though its a rattle can spray job, i think ive done it correctly and the extra effort should see it last.

Back