I'm such a nerd...can't wait to get started

RMcCormick

TVWBB Member
*UPATE, the grill rehab is complete. I''m having some issues with photo uploads. Currently working on the pics and hope to have them up soon.

My day started at this thread over hear http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65541-Would-You-Pay-350-for-this-Grill/page3

Thought I would follow it up here since today is my first day posting.

Hey ya'll. I always knew I wanted a weber, but I always assumed when I got it it would be some shinny new expensive stainless steel version.

Little did I know that my first Weber, which I got about a month ago, would be an Original Kettle Premium. It all started when my 11 year old stainless Costco gas grill finally got tossed to the curb a couple months ago. Although I have been grilling for 20 years I really didn't know that much about new grills, or grilling in general. I thought I did, but I did not.

So, as I always do I began the scouring of the world wide web for information. I was really interested in the Kamado style grills, but didn't want to spend $1000+. Looked at the Pit Boss Kamado at Costco, but decided it just had to many compromises, even for $599. Just like Weber's there is a reason the good ones are expensive.

I also looked at the Trager Pellet grills, but again decided that it was just not the best option if it was going to be my only grill. I think they are cool, but there are things they just can't do.

After a little more reading on Amazingribs.com I decided to go old school and get a Weber Kettle. The are relatively inexpensive, effective, and cheap to operate. This is my first charcoal grill, and I think only the 3rd grill I have ever had.

I have cooked on it damn near every day for a month now. I LOVE IT! I never knew food could taste so good. I have always loved to grill and cook (I make dinner almost every night I am home), but over the last month I have learned that I didn't know nut'n bout grilling, and my interest in food and cooking / grilling have been revived stronger than ever. Grilling, real grilling, is so much fun!

Got a Slow and Sear for my Kettle (great product by the way) and am learning to do low and slow. Only done a couple batches of country style ribs, but they turned out amazing. Gonna tackle some real ribs this weekend. Between the inter web and Youtube you can pretty much learn to do anything :)

I quickly realized that I still wanted a gas grill for times when I just needed to cook a quick chicken breast or hamburger. You know, when everyone gets home at 5pm and the kids are starving. But I was back at the same spot. I for sure now knew I didn't want anything ever again that didn't say Weber, but still didn't want to spend $600+.

Back to the web to research again. An early 2000's Weber Genesis Silver it would be. Scoured CL for a couple weeks. Watched several come and go. Finally got around to looking at a couple today. First one was only $75, but it was a little rougher than I wanted and for sure needed something as it wouldn't heat up. I figured this was going to be a long process before I came across one that I like. But wouldn't you know it, second one I looked at was a gem. It was a little more expensive, but still reasonable. Ended up getting it for $125. It's all in the link at the top. Not sure but I think it's a 2001-2002. Amazing this thing is 15-16 years old. They sure don't build them like this any more. I couldn't believe how heavy it was when we lifted it in to the back of the truck. It's built like a tank.

I don't think it needs much, but I can't wait to get started. I have Grillgrates that I had purchased to try and salvage my Costco grill. They fit perfectly. I'm going to take it apart and clean it this weekend. It's actually pretty clean, but I'm super particular.

I'm sure I'll have many questions over the next few days. I'll make sure to ask them in the correct forum. Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day weekend. Happy grilling.

P.S. Make sure you check out this one if you haven't already. Local guy has a brand new never used Genesis Silver C. He want's $375 for it. He said he would take $350. I though about it for a minute, but I'm glad you all talked me out of it.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/5583739189.html

*UPDATE...Please come on over here http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?655...t-Spruce-Up-quot&p=726323&posted=1#post726323 and give me your 2 cents!*

Last edited:
That is a great looking grill. You did well for yourself and your family. Doesn't look like it needs much work and with a little care, it will last for many more years. My 20 year old Genesis 1000 give us great service and is a joy to cook on. My wife uses it regularly also. For about $150.00 total invested I have the gasser I always wanted and one that will last at least another 20 years. The guy I bought it from did not know what a gem he really had. Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum RM, you did real good. You should have some great cooks coming off that puppy. Looking forward to seeing some soon. Enjoy and welcome again to the forum.

Congratulations on the new to you Weber! You are going to enjoy that grill.

I have purchased two Webers off of CL. A Genesis Silver A that was 16 years old and a NIB 22" Original Kettle.
They were both great deals and the sellers were surprised at how many people had called them so fast.
Luckily in these two cases, I was the first to contact them.

Back