Multiple K-type thermocouples?

KrisJacobs

Hi!

Thanks to CapnBry & this community for all the awesome work on Heater Meter!

I bought a large Big Green Egg in January, and I love it.
I also do a lot of tinkering with Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, and ESP8266s.

I purchased the "Semi-Pro BBQ Kit" from Thermoworks a few years ago, and it has served me well.
http://www.thermoworks.com/kits/?tw=VWB
It includes all K-type thermocouples - instant read needle, pit probe, and food probe.

My #1 question:
Has anyone done anything with Heater Meter to support more than just one K-type thermocouple?
I would like to use the probes I already have.

Thanks!

There's a version of the heatermeter sold by Auber that has 2 x K-type thermocouple jacks on it. Other than that, you'd need to design your own HM board for 4 x TC probes or a daughter board.

At the end of the day, it's probably just easier to spend the money on some Thermoworks Pro-Series probes for the thermistor jacks and be done with it.

Thanks Steve.

I've decided to make my BGE controller from scratch.
ESP8266 MCU, a pair of MAX31855 thermocouple modules, 16x2 I2C LCD, etc.

The Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout has integrated wifi & can run a web server along with the PID functions - in a very tiny package to boot.

Thanks Steve.

I've decided to make my BGE controller from scratch.
ESP8266 MCU, a pair of MAX31855 thermocouple modules, 16x2 I2C LCD, etc.

The Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout has integrated wifi & can run a web server along with the PID functions - in a very tiny package to boot.

IMO, you should still use an ATMEGA mcu(like a pro mini) to handle the PID/probes with HM code....you can then tx/rx with your esp8266 for remote access. I've tried/changed the HM code to support two SPI connected MAX6675 with success..(could support up to 4 thermos)....

ESP8266 is still just one processor, which is shared between code/wifi...it wouldn't be reliable to run both functions on one mcu.....the esp32 that will be out in a few months 'should' work better as it has 2 processors....

Back