Brisket: FAILED

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
12/03/2016 brisket.
Dear BBQ Friends, this is a Chronicle of a disaster.

14 pounds of black angus beef #USDACHOISE by #Creekstonefarm, trimmed, injected with #brisketblend by #Kosmoq and dual type of dry rub
1) #doublesecretsteakrub by #BPS
2) #blackops by #Oakridge
Let stand until 00:00.
Meanwhile I turned on the WSM settled with the #BBQGURU and added a little of water in the drip pan.
Such as wood I chose a little hickory in chuncks that I buried under the coal.
At 00:00 I put the brisket on the grate and I went to sleep.
After 8:50 hours I put the brisket in #pinkbutcherpaper and I continued cooking.
My goal this time was an internal temperature measured in the most thick part of the flat and, specifically, 203F. Therefore this cook continued up to a total of 15:26 hours.
At this point I removed it from the smoker and left to stand for 20 minutes on the kitchen table and then I put it in the igloo wrapped in blankets ikea.
Unfortunately it was 4 in the afternoon and dinner was at 21:00.
After 5 hours of rest at last discovered by the paper and ....
DISASTER.
Sliced flat that was completely dry and crumbly, a clear sign of overdone.
The point, after it is separated from the flat, I sliced, but it was also overdone.
As for the flavor it was very tasty and met the appreciation of the diners. Being overdone was not at all heavy and fat on the palate.
Who wanted to have used a sauce #blueshog namely the #tennesseeredsauce.
A vinegar base which combined perfectly with the point.
Incidentally the flat we have not even touched.
Nest time will get better (maybe).

IMG_2352 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2368 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2368 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2379 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2380 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2385 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2389 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2393 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2395 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2406 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

continued......

I'm sorry it was over done, it sure looks good and I'm glad to hear it taste good. Sounds like Brisket Stew is a possibility.

Ingredients

2 1/2 c. beef stock
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. Djion mustard
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 1/2 lb. brisket, trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces
3/4 c. brewed coffee
1 1/2 lb. new potatoes, halved
1/2 lb. carrots, cut into 2-in. pieces
1/2 lb. parsnips, cut into 2-in. pieces
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus leaves for garnish
1 bay leaf
Cornbread, for serving

For the Pickled Red Onions

1 c. seasoned rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 red onion

Directions

Whisk together stock flour, Dijon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season brisket with salt and pepper. Cook, in batches, until browned on all side, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove to slow cooker; reserve skillet and cook, scraping up brown bits, 30 seconds; add to slow cooker.
Add potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook until beef is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with thyme leaves and Pickled Red Onions, and cornbread alongside.
Make the Pickled Red Onions: Stir together rice vinegar, garlic, 1/2 cup water, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 sliced red onion. Let stand until softened, 25 to 30 minutes.

I'm sorry your brisket didn't meet your expectations. It sure looks good but I know the disappointment when things don't turn out like you planned. However, I'm sure it was better than you thought and we use these experiences to get better next time. I think it was a great cook!

Sorry about the brisket Enrico. That flat might go well in some chili or maybe shred it into kind of a beef bourguinon ?

As to the cook itself, have you tried judging when to pull the brisket based on how it feels as opposed to pulling at a specific temp ?

Enrico, I love your attention to detail. It is apparent in all your cooks. We're all our own worst critics and it stings when things seem to veer off course from the goal we've set. As mentioned by the others, that is one gorgeous brisket, both before and after. I'm sure your guests were impressed. You'll kill it next time. I'm trying to lean more towards what Dave said before me. I'm trying to judge doneness by probe tenderness rather than strict internal temperature.

Enrico, I love your attention to detail. It is apparent in all your cooks. We're all our own worst critics and it stings when things seem to veer off course from the goal we've set. As mentioned by the others, that is one gorgeous brisket, both before and after. I'm sure your guests were impressed. You'll kill it next time. I'm trying to lean more towards what Dave said before me. I'm trying to judge doneness by probe tenderness rather than strict internal temperature.

X2. I'm thinking you maybe/should have let it sit a bit longer on the counter before you wrapped it up & put it in the cooler. It probably kept cooking.

Sorry to hear about your Brisket not turning out too well. It looks great to me! I think you did everything right, sometimes, the cow ends up being tough. I've been there, done that, once in awhile, you just end up with a tough brisket. Keep going, your next one will be great!!!!! It still looks great in my book :).

Looks good to me! I've heard that the Creekstone farm's briskets have a pretty narrow window from being undercooked to overdone. I've cooked 3 of the Creekstone farm's primes and it seems like I've pulled them all off at lower temps. All but one I thought I was slightly undercooked on. If that's choice, it looks damn good for choice. I just cooked a butcher paper brisket. I remember at one point in one of the Franklin video's watching him spritz part of the inside of the butcher paper before wrapping it. It makes me wonder if that's part of what makes it work. I didn't do it.

Sorry to hear about your Brisket not turning out too well. It looks great to me! I think you did everything right, sometimes, the cow ends up being tough. I've been there, done that, once in awhile, you just end up with a tough brisket. Keep going, your next one will be great!!!!! It still looks great in my book :).

This was the case when I took Harry Soo's class, we got a "brisket from hell", that we had to put on for another 2 hours, for a total of 14. Is there a trade off though, tender vs being over done? This is something I can't wrap my head around.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Kemper I probe in the wrong place ????
What do tou think ???

Enrico, what would you change next time? Looks great to me.

Last edited:
Enrico, bummer about your brisket. From your pictures it looks great. We can sometimes be our own worst critic. My wife has told me this oh just a time or two.

Back