One more SB rib post...OK?

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi gang - I haven't done ribs in a dog's age and it's been awhile for me to use my mini - it's a Super Bowl win-win! Earlier in the week I made a pair of sauces: a mustard Jalapeno and a ketchup based Kimchi.

Two racks of St. Louis cut, bisected to fit. On the left is my mock Pig Salt and on the right Bone Dust. Once the lil' guy got up to temp, on they went, A-frame style. Minion with a pair of chunks cut from an oak wine barrel stave.

Uh-oh: rib collapse! Not to worry - no damage! FWIW, it does no good to hide the grate probe in the middle of what you are cookin': not the most accurate readings.

I was going for a 3-2-1 that turned into a 3-1.5-eat. Here we are after the 3 hour start, prepping for foil. I spaced out getting apple juice, my honey had crystallized in the bottom of the jar and I found out we are out of brown sugar. So-o-o agave syrup, raw sugar and chicken bouillon.

and 1.5 hours later... I was running out of time

and a terrible pic from my phone, at the party

Ribs and sauces were de'lish. I was pullin' for Carolina - they have two players from the great state of Oregon. Oh well. Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you around the fire!

Those ribs look insanely good Brian! And extra points for doing them on your mini. Most impressive!

FWIW, it does no good to hide the grate probe in the middle of what you are cookin': not the most accurate
Just curious how you think it affected the temp readings, as I had my probe placed in the same spot and I got the same result. My probe was showing a reading that was quite a bit higher then it actually was in the wsm.
Thanks, the ribs look like they turned out great!
Tim

Great looking ribs Brian, that's a load for the little guy, you did good. I had the battle of the mini when I did my Canadian bacon a few days ago. Mine does not like running under 200, fought with it for almost four hours, but the CB came out great.

Brian, those are awesome you did real gooooood. Would you share the recipe for the sauces, they look real good and interesting. Thanks.

Just curious how you think it affected the temp readings, as I had my probe placed in the same spot and I got the same result. My probe was showing a reading that was quite a bit higher then it actually was in the wsm.

My result was the opposite, Tim: my mounted thermometer (no name from amazon) was reading about 125* higher than the probe. My probe is from Thermoworks, I'm pretty confident in its readings. But the ribs cooked true to the readings from the wall mount... the only thing I could figure is the pair of A-frames blocked the circulation enough to give the false readings?? And, of course, I haven't tested either one to see how true they are :p

Barb, I'll post those recipes tonight.

Last edited:
Great looking color on those ribs! Interesting sauces as well! I dig the sound of that jalapeno mustard.

GREAT Looking Ribs Brian!
been a while since I've done spares... that'll change this weekend...
yeah man, super looking ribs! Bet they were tasty!!

Back