Cleaning a 22.5 WSM before installing gaskets.

Purple Power sold at Wal-Mart worked extremely well for me. I also use a grinding stone on my dermal to scuff the enamil. That way the adhesive has something to hold on to. I followed up with a couple wipe downs with acetone to remove all trace amounts of oil / finger prints.

Usually any place that sells paint. It over by all the other solvents / paint thinners. Be carefull with it. It will remove paint and melt plastic, but its excellent at removing finger prints and other trace amounts of oil. It also evaporates extremely fast.

Alcohol also works, we use that as a final primer before installing two sided tape at work.
I'm kinda surprised that they don't supply a alcohol prep pad with the gasket kit ?

Tim

I used some Zep Fast 505 degreaser from home depot, that's it. I got the kit with the red rtv adhesive. So far it's held perfectly for a year.

its fingernail polish remover, your wife probably already has some

Yea but now days it's usually not straight acetone. Some times it has stuff that keeps from drying out your skin / fingers. That can leave a residue. Alcohol will work too but it's not as strong or as fast drying. It's usually used where you would not want to strip paint off. It's definitely better than nothing at all.

Back