PID starting settings for 18" WSM

Karl Vacek

TVWBB Member
I've searched the Forum and haven't found any suggested starting settings for PID settings on an 18" WSM. About to try a first cook with my new HM and would like to make a good start. I can't wait to be able to check temps remotely and help the fire along in the cold Chicago weather - what a treat.

Happy New Year to all !

Where in Chicagoland are ya? I'm out west a little. Near Elgin.

Http://bbq.tizzle.net/

I run a Weber kettle with Slow n Sear, Heatermeter 4.2.4 with a Microdamper assembly. That link is my current cook. Started at midnight last night. Will take it off this afternoon.

My PID settings are
P - 6
I - 0.0195
D - 4
Fan On above 0%. Min 0%. Max 50%.

I dunno how close the cooking environment is between WSM and the Kettle/Slow n Sear, but that might get you in the ballpark until you can do some proper tuning and look at the actual output.

Do you have anything to insulate your cooker from the cold? A week ago I did a cook in the cold and the wind messed with my temperature something fierce. I bought a fiberglass welding blanket to wrap for this cook. Sooooo much better. Temps are really stable.

I've had some bone-in butts cooking since 7am, feel free to check out here for the few more hrs. This is not a typical graph --- I've been playing with it all day and one of my meat probes is going out, I think. Usually it's pretty darn stable an flat.

For transparency, this is a 22" model, but I used to own an 18" and never had any issues. Here are my PID settings. Note that I have Pulse mode on because I have a v4.1 HeaterMeter and don't have voltage mode.

Thanks to all - I'm doing a brisket overnight tomorrow night, and wanted a starting point.

I'll try yours, Benjamin, since it looks like your HeaterMeter is closer to mine in configuration. We've corresponded before - I'm in Riverside, 9 miles SW of the Loop. I keep meaning to get to Horrible Freight and buy a welding blanket - I know the wind has been one of my big issues - but I haven't made it yet. Maybe tomorrow before I start the brisket.

Nick, what's the Bias for? Is it related to Pulse mode? Those numbers look pretty far off from other 22" settings I've seen.

I have an 18.5" WSM with a 10CFM fan and a HM 4.0. My PID settings are:

PID: B=4 P=3 I=0.005 D=5

Well, I'm not finished with PID settings, but the experience of my first HM cook was WONDERFUL, even with some blunders.

Good stuff:
Lump charcoal is great - I have no intention of ever touching a piece of Kingsford again. With a full, slightly overpiled ring and lighting two chimneys at first (blunder one), then letting it roar away for nearly an hour before I put the barrel, water pan, meat, and lid on, I still had hot coals over 22 hours after lighting. Despite starting with half of the coal lit and letting it burn way too long, I still added NO charcoal at all throughout the cook. Lots of that time was NOT low and slow, due to various blunders and then experimentation after the cooking was done. I believe that 24 hours of controlled low and slow cooking would be possible without adding fuel.

The Harbor Freight fiberglass welding blanket was a Godsend. Best 15 bucks I've spent on this barbecue project. There's always been at least a little wind every time I've cooked, and every time it's been at least cool if not downright cold. And every time I've been fighting for enough heat. This cook included overnight temps in the low 20's, but I was actually experiencing too much heat (over 300 degrees) all night. I was asleep and didn't realize it till 6:30 AM... Blunder 2 was that the welding blanket had opened one of the vents so the HM was really not in control of things.

Using a remote thermometer (the HM) was great. I just bipped Pit Droid on my phone and instantly saw the temperatures, wherever I was.

Stoking really works. I no longer fear trying to get enough temperature.

Other blunders:
I napped maybe half an hour before setting up and lighting the smoker, trimming and rubbing the brisket, installing the probes, etc., etc. I was still a little fuzzy from the short nap. I moved the HM from my desk where it'd been running for nearly a week, and assembled everything outside at the smoker. By the time I put the meat on it was midnight, and then I was so intrigued with seeing temperatures remotely that I stayed up till after 2 AM. Smoker temps were still high, so I didn't even think of checking whether the fan and damper worked. When I woke up at 6:30, the smoker was running at over 300 degrees (I didn't yet know there was a vent opened by the welding blanket). Upon checking, I found the open vent, and then noticed that the fan and damper were completely dead. After warming the fan / damper and then later warming them again along with the HM, I was baffled. A different CAT5 cable didn't help either. I started checking for voltage at the other end of the CAT5 cable (easier to see than inside the jack on the HM) and no 5V, no 12V. This thing is bad !!! Ahem. Once I plugged the fan/damper into the CORRECT jack on the HM, all was well.

The brisket had a long stall, so I eventually set the temp back up to about 305 to git 'r done. After finishing the brisket (18 hours) and smoking some sausage, I decided to try to see how hot I could get the WSM with the remaining charcoal. Within half an hour I had 419 degrees, but there was really lots of room for more charcoal - there wasn't actually a full layer left on the bottom. I'm pretty sure it could get over 500 with lots more lit coal available. I left it with all vents open and the HM blowing away and the temp slowly declined, till after about 20 hours from first lighting it dropped below 300. Removed the HM and left the vents open, and about 2 hours later it finally went out. Incredible. This morning I cleaned the smoker - there was very little little ash in the bottom - I know I could repeat this same cook twice more before I really needed to remove ash. With KBB the ash would've been over the ash grate.

Soooo...

Lump is the fuel of choice for me. Burns hot and long, with little ash. I lucked into a good deal on Kamado Joe lump at a Costco one-time sale. If you haven't seen this stuff, it's from Argentina and has some huge pieces in it with almost no powder in the bottom of the bag. Liked it so much I bought another 400 pounds. I'll cry when I have to pay full price for that stuff, but it's great. Pieces of trees in the bag - not pulverized bits that fall through the grate on the WSM like the (maybe mishandled?) bags of RO I've bought at Home Depot.

A welding blanket shields so much heat loss that wind and cold isn't an issue. I don't need a Kamado like I was beginning to think.

The HeaterMeter is wonderful. For the first time, I didn't get more smoked than the meat. Once I get to know what I'm doing, low and slow barbecuing can be nearly effortless. Now if it could only clean the grills when I'm done ;-)

One more observation. I calibrated my lid thermometer at 211 degrees (altitude-corrected boiling here). It's not incorrect. BUT - placement is critical, and where it is is NOT where temperature needs to be measured. Depending on air flow, etc., there might be up to 50 degrees variation from the temperature at the grill. Sometimes the lid temp is pretty close - it all depends. Main thing I've learned is that it's not the lid thermometer itself, but the location of the lid thermometer that makes it inaccurate. Nice ornament though...

Thanks to one and all for all the instructions, suggestions, and tutoring. This is finally getting to be FUN !!

Last edited:
I'm always happy to help out! I'm glad the heatermeter I built for you is bringing you so much joy! :)

This is my settings for my WSM 22.5"
B=0; P=4; I=0.02; D=5
Fan pulse; min 10%; max 30%; max at startup
Servo 700 - 2110 inverted

I have a stock WSM 18" and use pretty much the default settings.

P: 3
I: 0.005
D: 5

Using the latest snapshot firmware, so no D.

Setup is the Adapt-a-Damper with fan set at on above 0% min 0% max 40%, and servo open/close only.

Seems to work for me.

F3jLL3w.jpg

wsm 18 as well. with 10 cfm fan.
P: 15 I: 0.02 D: 5

perfect!! the air spreader copper tube is bent in this picture. it's all horizontal normally ;)

burner5.JPG

2015-10-25%20at%2011.27.27.PNG

My settings for my 22 WSM (theyre the same as what i used for the 18):

Bias 4
Proportional 2
Integral 0.01
Derivative 15

Agreed, a P-val of 15 is way high. Dial it back to 2 and see how things go.

Back