Canadian bacon, smoke to temp?

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Guys-

I'm just finishing curing a bunch of Canadian bacon using Bob's Bacon Made Easy method. From there what temperature should I smoke it to? Looking around, following his method, could do it to 140 then just finish it when I fry it. I've seen elsewhere some say just cook it up to 160 so it is ready to eat. What do you think?

Thanks!
Daum

I think 140 would be about perfect, maybe even 135 since there might be some carryover heat if not chilled immediately.
140 is the safe level for pork.

I think 140 would be about perfect, maybe even 135 since there might be some carryover heat if not chilled immediately.
140 is the safe level for pork.

Good to know, I'll be smoking my C. bacon on Thursday. Did some before I smoke it research not like the first C. bacon which I researched after I screwed it up. Seems most people say 140 like Bob said, that's the safe temperature for pork. Any higher it starts to dry out. Also when you hit 140 take a few sample readings and if you find a spot under 140 continue to heat it until the lowest reading is 140 just to be on the safe side.
If you're going to let it cool down on it's own 135 like Bob said should work okay, me I'm going to bag it and give it a ice bath to stop the residual cooking so for me it's 140.

Back