Dueling Birds...Two turkey house, one regular ove and one smoked!

Brian (Mass.)

TVWBB Fan
We had a fantastic turkey day! We had 16 people over today and decided to do 2 birds, both about 14lbs. We bought them pre-ordered, never frozen. We did one in the over with EVOO and rosemary, sage and thyme. I did the smoked bird using the weber recipe of sage, thyme and butter under the skin and orange zest on the skin with the quartered orange inside. I did the seasoning/zesting at midnight for an 8am cook.
z58k7le.jpg

I foiled the pan and opened all the vents wide and propped the door upside down with a notch on my bbq tongs. I also put a 14 inch deep roaster pan on the lower grates with some foil to assist the drippings in reaching the pan. I used a combo of Cherry and Apple wood and kingsford original. I was at 300-320 for 4 hours and it came out like a dream. The temp hit 165 and I just lift the whole grill off the coals and foil the bird. It sits there like that for about an hour until we serve it and it's still very hot inside. We did 2 birds. One normal, one smoked. Those turkey legs with some fresh BBQ sauce were heaven! Both turkeys were great and I am definitely going to have to start smoking more legs!
kvIY6Yo.jpg

Back