Pizza setup on the WSM

SMeadows

TVWBB Member
Greetings! Getting ready to try my hand at pizza on the WSM for the first time. I've searched for threads discussing setup preferences (charcoal arrangements, which rack to cool on, etc) specifically for pizza on the WSM but can't find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction or provide some tips if you've cooked pizza on the WSM? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I should have mentioned I don't have a Pizza Kettle. I'm with you on that I shouldn't have temp problems with the WSM

I don't have a Pizza Kettle
Having the KP is a major bonus, however early on I didn't either. I simply put the top of my 22" kettle on my 18" WSM, I did not have the door on, and I cooked over fire, not charcoal. When I used charcoal, the taste transferred to the pizza even though it was screaming hot. But when I started using the WSM as a fire pit, that helped greatly with the taste (nothing better than flame cooked pizza) and when I finally got the KP, well the rest is history. The WSM combined with the KP is the best pizza BBQ "Oven" (IMHO)

Did you place pizza stone and pie on top grate?
Yes
Raise the stone off of the grate?
No

Just the charcoal grate with the wood burning on it and the top grate with the pizza on the stone. You have to leave the door open or the fire will go out and you do not want the fire to go out when your pizza is in the WSM, it will get smoked to death

I've got a performer dedicated to the kettle pizza and it works great, but after I saw Chucks setup again here I might try the KP on my 18.5 WSM to see how that works. Barb, I need some pizza dough please.

Having the KP is a major bonus, however early on I didn't either. I simply put the top of my 22" kettle on my 18" WSM, I did not have the door on, and I cooked over fire, not charcoal. When I used charcoal, the taste transferred to the pizza even though it was screaming hot. But when I started using the WSM as a fire pit, that helped greatly with the taste (nothing better than flame cooked pizza) and when I finally got the KP, well the rest is history. The WSM combined with the KP is the best pizza BBQ "Oven" (IMHO)

I've seen Chuck's WSM pizza posts. Can't go wrong with his advice.

I've got a performer dedicated to the kettle pizza and it works great, but after I saw Chucks setup again here I might try the KP on my 18.5 WSM to see how that works. Barb, I need some pizza dough please.

Its in the freezer just waiting!!!! Get cooking.

I am still trying to convince myself that i need to get a kettle pizza. We don't do pizza that often and i guess that is what makes it hard for me to spend the money.

I am still trying to convince myself that i need to get a kettle pizza. We don't do pizza that often and i guess that is what makes it hard for me to spend the money.

Craig, Barb and I made great pizzas just on our gassers and performer. The kettle pizza is a plus and a different flavor because of the wood burned and higher heat but IMHO it's not over the top better.

It's the age old question(s)

Can I make good pizza without one? Yes you can
Does the KP make better pizza than not? It can
So why would I want one? It's easier to cook pizza with one, than not

Just finished with the pizzas and posted some photos over on in the photo gallery. Turned out great; thanks for all of the help!

Back