My WSM cart

Robert Haas

New guy here, new to all of this. But after reading what everyone uses I jumped in with both feet and bought the 22.5 and realized I needed it to be more mobile then as delivered.

So Here is what I am building, Only part way there so you folks can jump in and tell me what I am doing wrong and I will modify as I go.

Start off with a steel frame using .125" wall mild steel. For the top I used Stainless steel (14G) and a bunch of red cedar for the side and doors covering.

I am not allowed to post pictures yet as I am brand new but once the admins. realize I am not a spam bot they might let me show you what it looks like.

You folks are inspirational.

Welcome to the forum Robert. Looking forward to seeing those pics. Sounds like you will fit in here just fine. Congrats on the new WSM.

It is finally done, it came out way better then I had hoped.

As soon as a moderator allows me to post pictures I will.

took the cart home yesterday.

went from this
IMG_20150828_150424867.jpg

to this

IMG_20150909_171854039.jpg

The top is 14 gauge stainless steel. I broke it and welded up the corners, then cut the center out with my plasma cutter. It is wrapped around a salvaged solid core wood door.

Will start working on a proper lid hanger as soon as I can figure out a decent design.

Last edited:
Robert.... That is a complete WORK OF ART!

and I see only ONE thing I would do differently....

and that is: KEEP IT ON MY DECK!

Outstanding work mister!! You oughta be very proud!

Well 8 weeks in and it is still amazing me how easy it is to prepare tantalizing smoked masterpieces with this rig. Have done my second briscut and after a 12 hour smoke it was the best I have ever tasted.

Did have a mishap doing some chicken. I built a larger hotter fire then a traditional smoke and did not use the water pan at all. once the fire was really going I went out to take a look and realized it was over 400 degrees INSIDE the cabinet. the foam core thermal shields melted. I know better and built this so you can swing the doors wide open during high temp use but I forgot and closed them. My fault. The good news is the shields are easy enough to change and I have learned a valuable lesson without burning the thing to the ground.

Great looking cart, Robert!

Did you cut the top out by hand, or do you have a burn table?

I ran an oxy-fuel/plasma CNC burn table for ten years. It's incredible what you can do with these setups.

Back